Yet another hermit crab question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering how fast hermit crabs grow? How long does it take for them to outgrow the home they have currently occupied.

I guess it would depend on the size of the shell they are in already, but are they fast growers?

I have about 7 blue-legged hermits in my 29 gal and I found one last night that was dead out of it's shell. I just got them a week ago. It had shells to move into. I put three new bigger shells in the tank, and within an hour, all three became occupied.

Thanks for your help! Do I need to buy new shells every week?! :wink:

Mine have not grown very fast. They have swapped shells more often than my land hermits. Also are you sure your hermit was dead or did he only molt? The molts look a lot like a dead crab except the soft belly part is not there.

And as all good Hitchhikers know - don't forget you towel ! :D

Ya it may have been a molt. They will fool ya
All of my blue legged have grown slow except for 1. He is a monster. I just had to get a few land hemit shells to accomodate him. He is now nearly 2" across. Beautiful animal!! :)

Ahh...molting! I will have to look! It looks just like the body, and there are also some of the blue-legs on the front of what I thought was the body. Would this be the case in a molt too?

I'm just amazed at how much they are eating, and moving around.

Thanks alot!

Back
Top Bottom