yet another lighting question......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabbydab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to upgrade my lighting on my tanks. I have currently the 32 watt smartlite with ballast on my 18 gallon and the 65 watt smartlite with ballast on my 30 gallon. sooner or later i would like to get corals. I have eclipse hoods on both tanks and I would like any suggestions you have to fix my lighting.
Thanks
Oh.... and when you reply can you make it as basic as possible.... i'm still learning.. :oops: thanks

I'm not familiar with either tank size. Can you give the tank measurements? I know what a 30g is but was not aware of an Eclipse hood for a 36" tank. Is it possible that it's a 29 gal? (30") I run two 65w smartlites on my 20 long coral tanks (soft corals only). For a 29, due to the extra depth, I'd say you would need three 65 watt tubes. I don't think you'll be able to keep the Eclipse on that tank. That should allow you to keep most of the soft corals and maybe some of the hard corals with lower light requirements. Tell us more about your tanks and what you would like to keep. Then we can give a more specific answer and better help you.
Logan J

The measurements of my 30 (?) gallon tank is 30"w x 20"h x 12.5"d. And my 18 gallon is 20"w x 16"h x 10" d.

oh yeah.... I wanted to keep soft corals, and anenomes and someday down the road I would like to try hard corals too.

That sounds like a standard 29 and a 20 high. That's what they're called...may not be the exact water volume though. Here's my guess...bear in mind that lighting is a very controversial subject and you'll probably get several different opinions :) .
Soft corals:
20g-2x65w 50/50 PC or 1x65w 10000k and 1x65w actinic.
29g-3x65w 50/50 PC or 1 of each type and run the actinic on a separate ballast for a dusk/dawn effect.

Hard corals/anemones:
20g-3x65w PC's.
29g-4x65w PC's or 1x175w MH with 1x65w PC actinic.

These last two are going to put off a lot of heat and may need fans. My coral growout tanks are 20 longs (30x12x12)...soft corals and zoanthids only...and I use 2x65w PC's on them. With the house at 76*, these tanks will reach about 83* during the afternoon if I don't point a fan at them. If I was growing SPS in them, I'd use 3x65w PC's. 24" VHO's are an option also. I think they are 75w each. The good thing about PC's is you can buy ballasts from Lowes that will run them just fine. VHO ballasts are kinds pricey. I just built two 2x65w systems for about $200. Hope this helps some.
Logan J
Logan J

well i have the same tank 29 gallon and right now i have a 32 watt smart lamp 10k/actinic and soft corals are having no problem with it and that's just 1watt per gallon but i am going to be putting on 2x55 watt 10k/actinic bulbs and taking the 32 watt out to go into my 12 gallon eclipse. Now im not sure of the exact wattage iv heard 4watts per gallon at least for hard corals now that's just what I have heard, But I can say all my soft corals and anenomies have had no problem yet with just the 32 watt now they would probably grow faster under more intense lighting but they have spread and grown under the smartlamp.

Back
Top Bottom