yet another salt question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I have some salt that I bought about 3 weeks ago. I left it in the box and now it has become clumpy. Is it still good? Or should I just toss the clumps? Also I have 2 brands of salt could I mix the 2 together?
TIA

Ive used older salts that have had clumps in it as well and have not seen any problems with it. I think its just a condensation build up in the bag, although I may be wrong. I would say that it should be fine and there shouldnt be any problems.

Salt will clump when it gets moist, even from humidity. If the bag was new I would be worried, otherwise if you had it open before I think you should be fine

I opened it about 3 weeks ago. It was fine when I opened it. I just didnt seal it very good. I am gonna put it in a sealed container just wanted to know if I should throw out the clumps. Would it be okay to mix 2 brands of salt in the same container?

which one have you been using the most? if wanting to use both at one time i would think you would have to ease into it like switching dog food, ie - use the one youve been using the most and just add a cup or so each pwc. i could be wrong tho....

I was using IO but then tried Oceanic, I like the IO better so I have been adding that in when I do my wc. so I still have some oceanic left. I might just use that up in my other tank. and stick ti IO in my reef tank.

The salt should be fine. Just make sure it is mixed and aged for a good amount of time before using the water.

i read somewhere that switching all at once was bad, so i think as long as you acclimate it it either way, you should be good. and as lando said, making sure its mixed and aged is important.

Back
Top Bottom