Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
yet more sump question....

Im setting up a 100 gallon tank that I eventually want to be reef. its not predrilled. My questions are:
1) Its 5 ft long so what Im thinking to make sure I have enough water flow and return, could I make 2 sumps with 2 returns from either end of the tank blowing towards the middle? Any forseeable problems with this?

2) For the sump, Im thinking of using small aquarium tanks. Would 1 ten gallon at each end be enough? Or is 10 gallon to small? two of them would be 20 gallons?

3) Im going to have a few fish in this tank as well as the reef. So when putting in the sumps, do I need to build baffles into the aqauriums for good gas exchange?

4) I see people using rubbermaids or plastic containers. How do you build baffles if thats what you call it into these? I know some use trash cans but I cant figure or picture how this works....if someone has a rubbermaid and trashcan built like this and is using it, let me know. I would love to see pics of a setup like this.

Also any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

sump question.....

Anyone????

Old 06-17-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It will be very difficult to balance waterflow between 2 sumps. Even using identical equipment the chance of the pump in 1 sump flooding the 2nd sump is pretty good. Don't depend on the flow from your sump to be your only waterflow in your tank. You'll need powerheads unless you have a huge pump in your sump with a spraybar setup in the tank itself.

I'm not sure what you mean in #3. For #4, for a sump only, you don't need baffles.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Indy
I see your point and didnt think about that...However I was thinking about having 1 mag drive 12 in each sump with 2 spray bars....one in each end of the tank. Also I was going to make sure I have about 3 Powerheads as well.....Im more concerned about the sump issue.
I thought when you have a "sump" per say, having baffles in them would allow the water to trickle and get good O2 exchange?? What Im asking is how do you build a trickle inside the sump for the good gas exchange?
Hope this makes sense???

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com