yet more sump question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im setting up a 100 gallon tank that I eventually want to be reef. its not predrilled. My questions are:
1) Its 5 ft long so what Im thinking to make sure I have enough water flow and return, could I make 2 sumps with 2 returns from either end of the tank blowing towards the middle? Any forseeable problems with this?

2) For the sump, Im thinking of using small aquarium tanks. Would 1 ten gallon at each end be enough? Or is 10 gallon to small? two of them would be 20 gallons?

3) Im going to have a few fish in this tank as well as the reef. So when putting in the sumps, do I need to build baffles into the aqauriums for good gas exchange?

4) I see people using rubbermaids or plastic containers. How do you build baffles if thats what you call it into these? I know some use trash cans but I cant figure or picture how this works....if someone has a rubbermaid and trashcan built like this and is using it, let me know. I would love to see pics of a setup like this.

Also any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

It will be very difficult to balance waterflow between 2 sumps. Even using identical equipment the chance of the pump in 1 sump flooding the 2nd sump is pretty good. Don't depend on the flow from your sump to be your only waterflow in your tank. You'll need powerheads unless you have a huge pump in your sump with a spraybar setup in the tank itself.

I'm not sure what you mean in #3. For #4, for a sump only, you don't need baffles.

Indy
I see your point and didnt think about that...However I was thinking about having 1 mag drive 12 in each sump with 2 spray bars....one in each end of the tank. Also I was going to make sure I have about 3 Powerheads as well.....Im more concerned about the sump issue.
I thought when you have a "sump" per say, having baffles in them would allow the water to trickle and get good O2 exchange?? What Im asking is how do you build a trickle inside the sump for the good gas exchange?
Hope this makes sense???

Back
Top Bottom