Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup...If you look in my gallery, you will see a pic of TYSON, my tuskfish. Taken last year sometime right after i got her. She is swimming by an oyster shell half with yellow pollyps. The oyster shell is over 4 inches long, so you can see how big she is. Funny thing is, i have been looking for a suitable home for her for a while now. Too bad you didnt see my posts cause i live in dutchess, and work in westchester.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yikes! Another Screw-up in the sometimes wild, madcap, world of TheMadNucleus.

When things are looking best - watch out - someone likely has a better deal. Oh well - Tyson Looks cool and has a cool name but as is the case generally with me....... A dollar too short a day too late

Stressco - you ever been in the shop in Greenwhich ( www.houseoffins.com ) - really wild - they have an 800 gallon tank in the back with a few sharks - really wild - they do not sell them but they supply the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium on occasion.

Generally really cool shop - a bit pricy though. Another cool place is in Stamford - www.reefandfin.com. The owners there are really great in many respects. In the window, Chris, the owner, has is pride an joy a 600 gallon Reef Tank - also worth visiting.

Chat later - hope all is well in Westchester - I'm in Stamford today.

Tom

Old 02-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great fish....I was always told that they are not invert safe. If thats not true, I know where my next 150.00 is going. Anyone have any info on that?

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stresco,

I would take her off your hands! I have a 175 reef that she would love. I'll pay for shipping if your serious.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyFish
Great fish....I was always told that they are not invert safe. If thats not true, I know where my next 150.00 is going. Anyone have any info on that?

Squishy
Squishy,
They are NOT invert safe. My Harlequin hunted down every thing that moved on my LR. It was like crab haven @ all you can eat at Red Lobster!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am serious, but she is promised to another reefer at the moment in Louisiana. Im just waiting for the weather to break up here before i ship her down there. But you never know, she may decide against taking her next month. If so, ill keep yo in mind. And as far as being invert safe well, i make sure that she is well feed before i add new inverts into the tank, then i only add the ones that are bigger than her mouth. Still, with her and the eel, i am constantly buying critters for my tank. She will also attack and eat small fish, so you need to be carefull on what you add into the tank.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tom, i havent made it over to Greenwhich yet, but i do frequent a LFS call Exotic Fish and Aquariums on Route 9 in Wappengers falls, that has serveral large tanks with sharks and rays.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its not invert safe I cant take it....thats why I havent gotten one yet. Thanks anyway!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 02-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Funny how we are convinced of the sexes of our respective Tusks - You refer to Tyson as She and I refer to Harold as He

These fish belong to a small set of fish which are not sexually dichromatic or dimorphic. I guess the owners can just tell.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehehehe, i guess. But I have read that the Harlaquin Tuskfish starts out as female, and the most dominant of the group will change its sex to male. He will be the only male of the group until he dies, then the next most dominant female will change her sex, and so on.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com