Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yikes! Impulse Buy

Yep, even those who should know better get sucked right into that vortex. You stop into a LFS to pick up $2.98 bag of floss and whack, you're struck by one beautiful fish just callin' out your name. You turn away, because you certainly know better, and besides, there's plenty of better things to spend the money on, like food. But before you know it your $200 bucks down and walkin' out of the place without the filter floss and instead a plastic bag full of water, a new little charge some compressed O2 and a nervous smile on your face.

I just bought a Harlequin Tusk (Francesca Scalpi) - about 4.5 inches big, one of the nicest I've ever seen and the LFS (since she knows I'm a sucker and will be back for more) reduced his price from 250 to 200.

Well, the photo is not him (it's from the web) but he looks almost exactly like this. A few nervous moments adjusting but everything seems good now. He's in my 125 with 4 others. Click the photo to enlarge

Old 02-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Australian or Indo? Congrats on the Harlequin, I think they are a pretty neat wrasse. I know how you feel, I once walked out of a LFS with a Goldflake Angel and a Golden Puffer with $450 + tax, less in my wallet.
The Harlequin that I have eats frozen, pellets, flakes & Nori.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
oooooo, looks awesome...

what did ya name him?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pecan2Phat

I think it's the Australian - foolish - I didn't even ask - but I did notice while I was researching him (I knew a bit about the fish so it was'nt total impulse ) that the Australians have more intense color and a red band at the end of their caudal fin - such is the case with Harold (hmm guess he just got a name - unpretentious, unassuming and yet a bit fitting for his behavior

Anyway thanks for the congrgats (and I guess sympathy for my afliction

Tom
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

dear fish

WOW, thats about a million dollars australian 8O lol.
I'm just sort of happy that i can take the boat 5 minutes off the local beach and catch them at the nearest reef.
I hope he treats you good and he gives you years of fun.
I just lost my entire tank of fish
Will leave the tank dormant for a month and start again, ITCH sucks!!
kell
Old 02-26-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
prices must be cheaper here, my store has the same exact fish for 140, but for that fish i'd pay 200 also

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:00 AM   #7

Tusk's are only $110.00 here. However that one is quite nice.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

At that price I really hope you got the Aussie, if not you need to slap the LFS owner, I am assuming prices on these guys have gone up or they have always been expensive in NY. Can't wait to see pics of yours, very cool fish!!!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
At that price I really hope you got the Aussie, if not you need to slap the LFS owner, I am assuming prices on these guys have gone up or they have always been expensive in NY. Can't wait to see pics of yours, very cool fish!!!
They must have gone up, a lot. I paid 90 bucks for mine 8O
Old 02-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow - thx for all the great comments. And yep, they are pretty pricy here in Westchester where everything is like 2 to 3 times more then anywhere else. As a matter of fact, funny side note, when I do my taxes using automated software it always gives me a warning that my taxes are way out of line for the norm (unless you live in Westchester County

Anyway - yeah confirmed - He's an Australian also measured him Last night roughly as he rested near the front of the tank - as best as I can tell he's actually about 5.75 Inches. Are all these posted prices for such large cuties, cuz the same LFS had a 3 Inch one in another tank for 165 (She probably would have given that one to me for about 125).

Tom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com