Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

your choice for feeding a reef tank

what is everyones favorite food for all aspects of the reef tank. there are so many choices.

feather dusters, and other filter feeders?
soft corals?
LPS corals?
any over all food / supplement that you like for general reef health?

thanks
steve r

Old 12-02-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should say 'foods'. I don't think any of the non-beginners use only 1 food.

For my SW tank, I have:
Frozen Formula One and Formula Two cubes
Frozen Mysis cubes
Frozen Krill cubes
Bio-Blend marine pellets - small
Cyclop-eeze freezer bar
Kent Phytoplankton

Plus I have OSI spirulina flake they sometimes get with the bio blend pellets.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Kent phytoplankton and cyclop-eeze for the reef.

Formula one and two flakes, frozen, and pellets for the fishies - garlic and vitamin enhanced on the flakes and pellets. Flake brine shrimp too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i guess that is what i meant. can food mean foods? anyway, i was looking for what everyone uses for each resident of thier tank. i want to make sure that my animals get the correct type and variety of "foods" right now i am using:

small spectrum pellets every day for the clown

liquid life marine plankton with cyclop-eeze for the softies and filter feeders. once a week

i give the clown and whole tank a little freeze dried brine once a week as well

i was thinking of adding liquid life coral plankton and kent phytoplankton into the rotation as well for a variety of foods.

i am going to add a toadstool leather or candy cane coral soon as well

as always, thanks for the info
Old 12-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Consider working garlic foods into the mix. Some soak their foods. Probably better than the foods I'm using with garlic added.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed both mysis and krill soaked in garlic, hang nori and feed DT's live plankton for the filter feeders. Every onnce in a while I feed zooplankton. I hang nori every toher day and feed froozen and DT's every three or four days.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how do you soak your mysis and krill?

steve r
Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I put the froozen cube of food in a shot glass and cover it in SeaChem Garlic Guard. Just let it thaw. I then strain it and rinse it in RO/DI water so I do not indroduce unwanted nitrates or PO4. Then just put in the tank so the fish can enjoy.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks lando

steve r
Old 12-02-2004, 10:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

No prob. Good luck.

Tags
feeding, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com