your choice for feeding a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what is everyones favorite food for all aspects of the reef tank. there are so many choices.

feather dusters, and other filter feeders?
soft corals?
LPS corals?
any over all food / supplement that you like for general reef health?

thanks
steve r

Should say 'foods'. I don't think any of the non-beginners use only 1 food.

For my SW tank, I have:
Frozen Formula One and Formula Two cubes
Frozen Mysis cubes
Frozen Krill cubes
Bio-Blend marine pellets - small
Cyclop-eeze freezer bar
Kent Phytoplankton

Plus I have OSI spirulina flake they sometimes get with the bio blend pellets.

Kent phytoplankton and cyclop-eeze for the reef.

Formula one and two flakes, frozen, and pellets for the fishies - garlic and vitamin enhanced on the flakes and pellets. Flake brine shrimp too.

i guess that is what i meant. can food mean foods? anyway, i was looking for what everyone uses for each resident of thier tank. i want to make sure that my animals get the correct type and variety of "foods" right now i am using:

small spectrum pellets every day for the clown

liquid life marine plankton with cyclop-eeze for the softies and filter feeders. once a week

i give the clown and whole tank a little freeze dried brine once a week as well

i was thinking of adding liquid life coral plankton and kent phytoplankton into the rotation as well for a variety of foods.

i am going to add a toadstool leather or candy cane coral soon as well

as always, thanks for the info

Consider working garlic foods into the mix. Some soak their foods. Probably better than the foods I'm using with garlic added.

I feed both mysis and krill soaked in garlic, hang nori and feed DT's live plankton for the filter feeders. Every onnce in a while I feed zooplankton. I hang nori every toher day and feed froozen and DT's every three or four days.

I put the froozen cube of food in a shot glass and cover it in SeaChem Garlic Guard. Just let it thaw. I then strain it and rinse it in RO/DI water so I do not indroduce unwanted nitrates or PO4. Then just put in the tank so the fish can enjoy.

I bought a small brine shrimp net, specifically for straining my thaw'd mysis and krill. Works like a champ.

I buy the variety packs from my lfs, it has about 7 or 8 different types of frozen cubes mixed into 1 bag. I think they are all the one's that fell on the floor at the fish food plant that they didn't feel like sorting out :D But they get a different meal just about every day. Other than that I use kent's phyto once a week.

Lando wrote
I put the froozen cube of food in a shot glass and cover it in SeaChem Garlic Guard. Just let it thaw. I then strain it and rinse it in RO/DI water so I do not indroduce unwanted nitrates or PO4.
Wouldn't it make more sense to add the garlic to it after the RO/DO rinse?
I would think that you would lose most of the garlic 'marinade' in the rinse.

You may loose some of the garlic, but you also decrease the chance of introducing PO4 and unwanted nitrates into the tank.

There may be some PO4 present in the garlic solution, but it is more of a concern from the liquid created by the thawing of the food. Either way, make sure you strain it. If you want to retain most of the garlic, it would thaw the food in SW, rinse in RO/DI water, soak in garlic and strain be fore adding to the tank. The lss liquid you introuduce the better.

I mix my own food. Clams,shrimp flounder etc with garlic and nori. I feed once every other day with Selcon. and I add Cyclop-eez on Wednesdays

Would you please post a link for Cyclop-eez. I see a bunch of their products, and I'm curious to see which ones you all use.

Back
Top Bottom