Your fist year in the fish keeping hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today marks my one year anniversary of being in the "fish keeping hobby".

I first got interested when I saw this display at the doctor's office when my mother broke her leg.

img_1791673_0_8ca882cd3d591f10336c4c822abdb415.jpg

Since then I've been enjoying the hobby, constantly messing up, trial and error, and finally got a since of "hey, I know what I'm doing!".

I went about 7 or 8 months FOWLR, and have been keeping corals more recently.

Even did a few DIY projects.

How did you get interested in fish keeping, and how would you describe your first year and your learning process and how long have you been fish keeping?

I think it'll be my first year or real "proper" fish keeping this month or march. I cant remember if it's february or march, but I think it's February lol. But congrats!

My first year fishkeeping was with a 5gal tank that had a slate bottom with four comet goldfish in it. See ! Mistake right off the bat!! Since then I read everything I can get my hands on. I've been keeping fish now for about 40-45 years and still learning. I've had all kinds of fresh tanks and fish only tanks and am now getting into reef. Its a great experience and makes on part of your life change from hour to hour. Loads of enjoyment!! I've been following your 10gal. nano build and so far it looks great. It the pic above is your tank after one year keeping fish I would say you are doing great! Keep up the good work and I'll be watching on that 10gal. nano.

My first year fishkeeping was with a 5gal tank that had a slate bottom with four comet goldfish in it. See ! Mistake right off the bat!! Since then I read everything I can get my hands on. I've been keeping fish now for about 40-45 years and still learning. I've had all kinds of fresh tanks and fish only tanks and am now getting into reef. Its a great experience and makes on part of your life change from hour to hour. Loads of enjoyment!! I've been following your 10gal. nano build and so far it looks great. It the pic above is your tank after one year keeping fish I would say you are doing great! Keep up the good work and I'll be watching on that 10gal. nano.

Wow, 40-45 years!? You must've learned so much over that time period, and watching the technologies involved must have been pretty cool. And now going into reef you'll learn a different aspect of fishkeeping.

4 goldfish in a 5 gallon? :ROFLMAO:

And nope, that was the tank that inspired me to start. Interestingly enough, when we came for the follow up appointment at that doctors office, the tank was gone.

My frist year was 1973. My friend down the hall had a 10 gal with a really odd mix. He moved & gave it to me. After that I had one salt tank & alot of fresh 27 once. looking for the perfect fish. One day I was walking my Dogs in China Town NYC,in a pet store window I found it. A Ranchu the next 20 years Fancy Goldfish. No more G/F, Harps & Peacocks. And a koi pond.

Back
Top Bottom