Your oppinion on Aquarium Lids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
:wave:
I want to get anthias fish (jumpers) and also keep my evaporation down a little.

Would you recommend a lid?
What are my options?
does it have an effect on the lighting? will it slow down the par?
will there be a lot of salt creep?
Will it affect my PH?

any tips/advise will be nice. :thanks:

:wave:
I want to get anthias fish (jumpers) and also keep my evaporation down a little.

Would you recommend a lid?
What are my options?
does it have an effect on the lighting? will it slow down the par?
will there be a lot of salt creep?
Will it affect my PH?

any tips/advise will be nice. :thanks:

Depending on the size of the tank, you can buy lids at different places or you can make your own. Some use glass tops while others prefer screens.
The glass ones will slow, but not inhibit gas exchange. They do not hamper par and lighting, but if not cleaned can. There can also be salt creep if there is a trickle of water into the surface, but can be managed by regularly cleaning the lids.
Your ph would see minor effect, as it can be effected by the gas exchange on the surface.
Personally, I prefer an open tank for as much gas exchange as possible and a cleaner look. I will eventually put a top on my tank, but it will be in the form of a canopy rather than a glass top or screen.

thanks for the info. i always preferred open tanks as well. but i am thinking of upgrading to a 200gal tank and just don't want to be adding 5gal a day due to evaporation :D

thanks for the info. i always preferred open tanks as well. but i am thinking of upgrading to a 200gal tank and just don't want to be adding 5gal a day due to evaporation :D
Lucky me I live in an apartment where water is included in the rent. Having an ATO I don't have to worry about water evaporation with an open top.

On my tank I'm having a nice looking lip that goes in. 1 inches to keep fish in and also the ability to remove

image-269408812.jpg

I got a fluorescent diffuser from Home Depot. Simply put it's perfect. Cheap, easy to fit/replace, allows for great gas exchange and keeps the homies where they should be.

Attachments

• Top Cut.jpg
    Top Cut.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 95
thanks for the info guys. now i see i have plenty of options. enjoyed the pics! love your tanks. keep up the good work!

BRS screen kit is pretty popular among reefers

DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

I prefer a glass lid. Never had a problem. A lot of people argue that an open top is critical for O2 exchange in a reef tank, but I have a sump and never saw any proof that it was important. I don't have an ATO and I don't like a lot of evaporation. I think salinity fluctuations are bad news.

Thanks crabs. i am planning on going with the glass lid. what's ato?

Back
Top Bottom