Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #601
Aquarium Advice Addict

Enough.

This thread has been cleaned up. No more off topic posting. Seriously, last chance or this thread will be closed. There is a chat room if you want to chit chat. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #602
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just got a 50 dollar gift card to petco!!!!!! any ideas how i should spend it? I dont want something live cuz i dont want their icky water? I want something to improove my system. Right now on my 20 long i have 25 pounds if LR, a biowheel 150, some heater (idk what type but it works fine) 4 bulb t5h0 fixture
You need to stop everything and research and take peoples advice, otherwise there is no point to you rambling on and on, changing your plans everyday, and not listening. When you acclimate a fish you should not be adding any water from the lfs to your system. You add your tank water to the bag slowy or bucket if you drip. All of this water is then discarded and you add the fish only...

I forced myself to read some more of this. In what part of your research did to decide it was a good idea to add fish without a powerhead for water movement and oxygenation? You have to stop everything right now. You talk about a new stock list everyday and dont even have a tank that can support life. Get you tank ready for fish before you add them. It is extremely insulting for people to tell you over and over what to do and you ask the same question over and over and are only concerned with how many fish you can jam in your tank. I just don’t understand how none of this is catching on. Here is an example... you are relying on birthday money for tank purchases and wanting harlequin shrimp that only eat starfish that YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY CONTINUALLY... I dont see the long term thinking in that.

With all that said, I understand it is exciting and all but you have to listen, understand, and do, not hear and ignore.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #603

no qt, this is because i found a new lfs with no central water system which means ich is a lot less likey
the final stock list is
tons of corals
cuc
1 b and w clown
1 orange clown
1 ywg
1 purple firefish
1 gramma
1 chalk bass
i know its a little overstockedbut all of those fish are peaceful and i have good filtration!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #604

does that stock list look good
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #605
Aquarium Advice Freak

Really? What is your filtration? Do you have a power head yet?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #606

i have a powerhead, boiwheel filter and 30-35 pounds of live rock, i think thats preet good, what do you think of the stock list
Old 12-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #607
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i think if you are VERY VERY careful about water changes and your water parameters you can pull it off. I would like to see one less fish, like the gramma removed so you can have the bass but I know you and how you think so this is my answer. lol

I wouldnt do it myself and not becasue of the fish count but the fish you choose. The gramma and bass might give you issues but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #608
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
no qt, this is because i found a new lfs with no central water system which means ich is a lot less likey
the final stock list is
tons of corals
cuc
1 b and w clown
1 orange clown
1 ywg
1 purple firefish
1 gramma
1 chalk bass
i know its a little overstockedbut all of those fish are peaceful and i have good filtration!
Quote:
does that stock list look good
First of all, please give people more than 3 minutes to respond before posting again. Bumping is not allowed anyway.

Second of all, there is no way I would even attempt that fish load in a 20 long. It's more than a "little" overstocked IMO.

Finally, I would consider the filtration you have adequate at best... you have a few pieces of pretty dense LR (based on your reported weight of these pieces), one powerhead, and an underpowered hang on filter. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't call that "good".

Peaceful fish are often peaceful until they are crammed into a small tank together with very little space to stake out territories. I can promise you 1000% that your tank will be more enjoyable and less stressful (and your fish less prone to stress-related illness) if you do not just try to cram everything in there that you can.

Also, I don't know if it has been pointed out yet, but your tank is VERY new. SW tanks take time to establish- a long time. IMO you are rushing everything big time. When HN1 and I started a 20, we let the tank cycle for several weeks, started with a couple of easy frags, then started with ONE small fish. Even an established 20 is way too small IMO to be adding 3-4 fish at a time, but in a new tank this is really asking for trouble. We waited a month or more between each addition, and ended up with THREE fish total. No one wants to see you fail, and trust me, the conservative approach is more likely to work out for you in the long run.

Your tank needs to run fallow for a few more weeks as you obviously know. Rather than focus only on a stock list, I would strongly recommend taking the time to read some articles, books, etc. not only in regards to stocking, but overall husbandry. It's cool to ask questions here, but just about everything you are asking is covered in basic SW/reefkeeping books.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #609

if i was religious about water changes, could it work?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #610
Aquarium Advice Freak

Y do you never respond to the advice given to you? Instead you repeat previous question or ask a new one?

Tags
20 gallon, build, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com