Zach's 20 gal long build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough.

This thread has been cleaned up. No more off topic posting. Seriously, last chance or this thread will be closed. There is a chat room if you want to chit chat. Thank you.

Last edited:
good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just got a 50 dollar gift card to petco!!!!!! any ideas how i should spend it? I dont want something live cuz i dont want their icky water? I want something to improove my system. Right now on my 20 long i have 25 pounds if LR, a biowheel 150, some heater (idk what type but it works fine) 4 bulb t5h0 fixture

You need to stop everything and research and take peoples advice, otherwise there is no point to you rambling on and on, changing your plans everyday, and not listening. When you acclimate a fish you should not be adding any water from the lfs to your system. You add your tank water to the bag slowy or bucket if you drip. All of this water is then discarded and you add the fish only...

I forced myself to read some more of this. In what part of your research did to decide it was a good idea to add fish without a powerhead for water movement and oxygenation? You have to stop everything right now. You talk about a new stock list everyday and dont even have a tank that can support life. Get you tank ready for fish before you add them. It is extremely insulting for people to tell you over and over what to do and you ask the same question over and over and are only concerned with how many fish you can jam in your tank. I just don’t understand how none of this is catching on. Here is an example... you are relying on birthday money for tank purchases and wanting harlequin shrimp that only eat starfish that YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY CONTINUALLY... I dont see the long term thinking in that.

With all that said, I understand it is exciting and all but you have to listen, understand, and do, not hear and ignore.

no qt, this is because i found a new lfs with no central water system which means ich is a lot less likey
the final stock list is
tons of corals
cuc
1 b and w clown
1 orange clown
1 ywg
1 purple firefish
1 gramma
1 chalk bass
i know its a little overstockedbut all of those fish are peaceful and i have good filtration!

Really? What is your filtration? Do you have a power head yet?

i have a powerhead, boiwheel filter and 30-35 pounds of live rock, i think thats preet good, what do you think of the stock list

i think if you are VERY VERY careful about water changes and your water parameters you can pull it off. I would like to see one less fish, like the gramma removed so you can have the bass but I know you and how you think so this is my answer. lol

I wouldnt do it myself and not becasue of the fish count but the fish you choose. The gramma and bass might give you issues but that's just my opinion.

no qt, this is because i found a new lfs with no central water system which means ich is a lot less likey
the final stock list is
tons of corals
cuc
1 b and w clown
1 orange clown
1 ywg
1 purple firefish
1 gramma
1 chalk bass
i know its a little overstockedbut all of those fish are peaceful and i have good filtration!

does that stock list look good

First of all, please give people more than 3 minutes to respond before posting again. Bumping is not allowed anyway.

Second of all, there is no way I would even attempt that fish load in a 20 long. It's more than a "little" overstocked IMO.

Finally, I would consider the filtration you have adequate at best... you have a few pieces of pretty dense LR (based on your reported weight of these pieces), one powerhead, and an underpowered hang on filter. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't call that "good".

Peaceful fish are often peaceful until they are crammed into a small tank together with very little space to stake out territories. I can promise you 1000% that your tank will be more enjoyable and less stressful (and your fish less prone to stress-related illness) if you do not just try to cram everything in there that you can.

Also, I don't know if it has been pointed out yet, but your tank is VERY new. SW tanks take time to establish- a long time. IMO you are rushing everything big time. When HN1 and I started a 20, we let the tank cycle for several weeks, started with a couple of easy frags, then started with ONE small fish. Even an established 20 is way too small IMO to be adding 3-4 fish at a time, but in a new tank this is really asking for trouble. We waited a month or more between each addition, and ended up with THREE fish total. No one wants to see you fail, and trust me, the conservative approach is more likely to work out for you in the long run.

Your tank needs to run fallow for a few more weeks as you obviously know. Rather than focus only on a stock list, I would strongly recommend taking the time to read some articles, books, etc. not only in regards to stocking, but overall husbandry. It's cool to ask questions here, but just about everything you are asking is covered in basic SW/reefkeeping books.

Y do you never respond to the advice given to you? Instead you repeat previous question or ask a new one?

The previous advice wasnt just about filtration it was also abt space and fighting over territory. And yea frequent water changes would help but they get tedious if u are doing one a week plus that cost adds up. Not to mention if u don't have an ro that is also more trips to the lfs.

the final stock list is
tons of corals
cuc
1 b and w clown
1 orange clown
1 ywg
1 purple firefish
1 gramma
1 chalk bass

You should have no more than 4 fish in a 20 and I would put no more than 3
I am absolutely stunned that you made that post directly after I posted this...

"You need to stop everything and research and take peoples advice, otherwise there is no point to you rambling on and on, changing your plans everyday, and not listening. When you acclimate a fish you should not be adding any water from the lfs to your system. You add your tank water to the bag slowy or bucket if you drip. All of this water is then discarded and you add the fish only...

I forced myself to read some more of this. In what part of your research did to decide it was a good idea to add fish without a powerhead for water movement and oxygenation? You have to stop everything right now. You talk about a new stock list everyday and dont even have a tank that can support life. Get you tank ready for fish before you add them. It is extremely insulting for people to tell you over and over what to do and you ask the same question over and over and are only concerned with how many fish you can jam in your tank. I just don’t understand how none of this is catching on. Here is an example... you are relying on birthday money for tank purchases and wanting harlequin shrimp that only eat starfish that YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY CONTINUALLY... I dont see the long term thinking in that.

With all that said, I understand it is exciting and all but you have to listen, understand, and do, not hear and ignore."

Last edited by a moderator:
How many fish have you killed? How many more are you going to kill before you learn?

Your filtration is not good. Certainly not for a heavily stocked tank. A bio wheel & rock is good filtration for a moderate stock, not more. And even then, only of you do regular large water changes.

I have a serious issue with the ignorant & irresponsible manner you are approaching this hobby. Fish collection negatively impacts reef inhabitant populations around the world BUT if undertaken responsibly by collectors, distributors & aquarists, can be maintained in an ecologically sustainable way. You do not fit into responsible aquarium keeping.

You mentioned you no longer buy from your LFS because they are 'rude' and I can't help but wonder if you feel that way because they are giving you the same advice you're getting here - the advice you continue to ignore over 600+ posts.

You need to STOP and learn the basics. The most basic principles of reef keeping.

the only fish that died were 2 clowns and a royal gramma, they broke out with ich right after the power outage, i didnt have power for a week

Oh, only 3 fish? Zach, by soliciting advice from more experienced aquarists, then blatantly ignoring what you don't want to hear is negligent. It's time you clue in before you buy anymore fish. Or get your parents in here do they can see the advice given.

if i removed either the fire fish or ywg would the list be ok?

zacheyp said:
if i removed either the fire fish or ywg would the list be ok?

Pay attention to the above information!! For you, your stocklist is at the BOTTOM of the list to think about

This thread is going nowhere. Advice has been offered by many members. It is up to you to weigh the advice you have received with research that you do on your own, and make whatever decision you're going to make. Ultimately, it is your tank and your choice... just remember, as reefkeepers, our wallet isn't the only thing that pays the price for a bad decision. The fish (of which the overwhelming majority are wild caught in the industry, I might add) pay the ultimate price.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom