Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #611
Aquarium Advice Freak
The previous advice wasnt just about filtration it was also abt space and fighting over territory. And yea frequent water changes would help but they get tedious if u are doing one a week plus that cost adds up. Not to mention if u don't have an ro that is also more trips to the lfs.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #612
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
no qt, this is because i found a new lfs with no central water system which means ich is a lot less likey
the final stock list is
tons of corals
1 b and w clown
1 orange clown
1 ywg
1 purple firefish
1 gramma
1 chalk bass
i know its a little overstockedbut all of those fish are peaceful and i have good filtration!
You should have no more than 4 fish in a 20 and I would put no more than 3
I am absolutely stunned that you made that post directly after I posted this...

"You need to stop everything and research and take peoples advice, otherwise there is no point to you rambling on and on, changing your plans everyday, and not listening. When you acclimate a fish you should not be adding any water from the lfs to your system. You add your tank water to the bag slowy or bucket if you drip. All of this water is then discarded and you add the fish only...

I forced myself to read some more of this. In what part of your research did to decide it was a good idea to add fish without a powerhead for water movement and oxygenation? You have to stop everything right now. You talk about a new stock list everyday and dont even have a tank that can support life. Get you tank ready for fish before you add them. It is extremely insulting for people to tell you over and over what to do and you ask the same question over and over and are only concerned with how many fish you can jam in your tank. I just don’t understand how none of this is catching on. Here is an example... you are relying on birthday money for tank purchases and wanting harlequin shrimp that only eat starfish that YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY CONTINUALLY... I dont see the long term thinking in that.

With all that said, I understand it is exciting and all but you have to listen, understand, and do, not hear and ignore."

95 Gallon reef system
Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #613
Aquarium Advice Freak
How many fish have you killed? How many more are you going to kill before you learn?

Your filtration is not good. Certainly not for a heavily stocked tank. A bio wheel & rock is good filtration for a moderate stock, not more. And even then, only of you do regular large water changes.

I have a serious issue with the ignorant & irresponsible manner you are approaching this hobby. Fish collection negatively impacts reef inhabitant populations around the world BUT if undertaken responsibly by collectors, distributors & aquarists, can be maintained in an ecologically sustainable way. You do not fit into responsible aquarium keeping.

You mentioned you no longer buy from your LFS because they are 'rude' and I can't help but wonder if you feel that way because they are giving you the same advice you're getting here - the advice you continue to ignore over 600+ posts.

You need to STOP and learn the basics. The most basic principles of reef keeping.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #614
the only fish that died were 2 clowns and a royal gramma, they broke out with ich right after the power outage, i didnt have power for a week
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #615
Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh, only 3 fish? Zach, by soliciting advice from more experienced aquarists, then blatantly ignoring what you don't want to hear is negligent. It's time you clue in before you buy anymore fish. Or get your parents in here do they can see the advice given.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #616
if i removed either the fire fish or ywg would the list be ok?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #617
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by zacheyp
if i removed either the fire fish or ywg would the list be ok?
Pay attention to the above information!! For you, your stocklist is at the BOTTOM of the list to think about
Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #618
Aquarium Advice Addict

This thread is going nowhere. Advice has been offered by many members. It is up to you to weigh the advice you have received with research that you do on your own, and make whatever decision you're going to make. Ultimately, it is your tank and your choice... just remember, as reefkeepers, our wallet isn't the only thing that pays the price for a bad decision. The fish (of which the overwhelming majority are wild caught in the industry, I might add) pay the ultimate price.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread

20 gallon, build, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com