Zach's 29 G Biocube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was just looking at live aqueria where most are classified as semi or agressive
what is coral spread

Not a saltie...but coral spreading means that they grow on all different sorts of places depending on lighting and flow, and some grow more faster and vigirously than others I guess, classifying them as semi-agressive or agressive. I wouldn't think all corals are like this but I'm sure there are some out there that are. Again, not a saltie, this is all from research.

No there are non-aggressive corals as well. Usually aggressive means they have stinger tentacles they send out if they detect other corals and either duke it out like that, or chemical warfare

Yes, you just need to make sure to place them where they cannot come into contact with each other when fully expanded.

By reach you mean they can't touch right?
Can corals harm fish?

By reach you mean they can't touch right?
Can corals harm fish?

At night when the lights are not on, they can put out tentecles. You want to be sure that other corals are not withing reach of the tentecles. liveaquaria.com gives a good listing of what the reach is. With things like hammers, they can give off chemicals so anything that is down stream in the flow of water will bet blasted. Yes, some corals can even eat fish from what I have read. I am no expert but do your research before you add anything and you should be fine.

as stated, some corals have "sweeper" tentacles that can reach 4" or more. they can wipe out everything around them. these are not to be confused with the tentacles they put out at night to catch food.
some, like many leathers can release chemicals that can kill corals down current (in an aquarium, this could mean the entire tank).
some attempt to digest any corals that touch them.
and some just outgrow corals, covering them and shielding them from light, until they shrivel up and disappear.

as for corals eating fish, a sick/dead fish maybe. these rhizotrochus typus are the closest thing to an anemone IMO, but they are better because they have a calcium based skeleton and cannot wander!
they have the tools to devour a small fish. you can see by the zoas in the background the sheer size of them-
img_1561967_0_ac44e9dda992136759c0f27636cc8acf.jpg

Um I have 3 peppermint shrimp in my 90 gallon with my Longnose Hawkfish and sometimes he perches and stares at them but he never goes for them. BTW I have hermits and snails too.

mr_X said:
as stated, some corals have "sweeper" tentacles that can reach 4" or more. they can wipe out everything around them. these are not to be confused with the tentacles they put out at night to catch food.
some, like many leathers can release chemicals that can kill corals down current (in an aquarium, this could mean the entire tank).
some attempt to digest any corals that touch them.
and some just outgrow corals, covering them and shielding them from light, until they shrivel up and disappear.

as for corals eating fish, a sick/dead fish maybe. these rhizotrochus typus are the closest thing to an anemone IMO, but they are better because they have a calcium based skeleton and cannot wander!
they have the tools to devour a small fish. you can see by the zoas in the background the sheer size of them-

Lol it looks like it's smiling at you with it's pearly whites

I had one a few years back,they do try to catch fish but didn't have any success in mine,one thing to remember make sure your bottom live rocks are laid on the tank bottom and not on the sand,they burrow under rocks and will cause a rock fall as they are quite big,mine used to take fish from my hand but it died when it had trouble shedding.

I agree with ccCapt,I have had two lobsters in two different tanks over the years.A waste of money.I usually had to use a red lenses flashlight at night to even see them.

I have one that I`ve had for 8 yrs now. Maybe seen it 7 times in 8 yrs. I got this pic of him at night time one night.

100_1948.jpg

what is the general rule of thumb for how much the average coral can expand

i want to know so i can decide how do build my reef

Back
Top Bottom