Zach's 29 G Biocube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't run a heater in my cube but I live in Florida. ;-) I do have one for when winter comes though in case I need it. How cold does it get where you live?

i live in nj... so any simmilar fish to tangs (body type)
thanks

Tang look alike

I would love a tang but I only have 30 gallons.
Are there any tang look alikes.
Needs to be reef safe.

Reef safe dwarf angels

I wanted a tang but that can't happen in a 29. I am looking at dwarf angels. Are there any that are reef safe?

Unfortunately, all Dwarf Angels have a 50/50 chance at nipping at your corals. I had a Lemonpeel Angel that rarely ever nipped, but That could have changed as time progressed.

It's 50/50 with angels like redsea mentioned. These are the conclusions I've seen happen the most:
a)The angel doesn't nip at all and lives fine with the corals.
b)The angel doesn't nip for the first few years and then suddenly nips.
c)The angel nips right from the start.

It's 50/50 with angels like redsea mentioned. These are the conclusions I've seen happen the most:
a)The angel doesn't nip at all and lives fine with the corals.
b)The angel doesn't nip for the first few years and then suddenly nips.
c)The angel nips right from the start.

+1 I agree with the above info.:)

I wouldn't get an angel in a reef. I've had to take rock scape completely apart before and I would hate to do that for an angelfish. I can also never put the rocks back quite the same way as before. NOT WORTH IT IF YOUR TANK IS BIGGER THAN 10g.

zacheyp said:
i live in nj... so any simmilar fish to tangs (body type)
thanks

Regarding the heater,you definitely need one.I'm actually surprised the person at the pet store told you that,usually they try to sell you what you actually don't need.LOL

Regarding the heater,you definitely need one.I'm actually surprised the person at the pet store told you that,usually they try to sell you what you actually don't need.LOL

That LFS employee needs to go back to school....or you know buy a cup of coffee.

I don't run a heater in my cube but I live in Florida. ;-)

Out of curioisty, what temperature is the water in your biocube? I also live and Florida and the water temperature in my 29gal biocube is fairly warm (80-82F) and always runs a few degrees above room temperature (which is 78-79F, I also don't use don't use a heater). I think the heat generated by the circulation pump, an additional powerhead and perhaps the lights keep my biocube fairly warm and slightly above room temperature.

Yep, it depends on your house temperature and whatever heat your equipment adds to your tank. Being airtight wouldn't make a difference, not that the biocube is airtight anyway. Heat transfers through any medium, including air, the glass of your tank, etc. So if you always keep your house at 75+ and your tank stays above 75, you don;t need a heater. But if your house gets cold in winter, then you would. It would probably be a good idea to get one, just incase something happens and it will keep your tank temps more constant, whereas your air temperature could fluctuate.

Dwarf/pygmy angels are the closest to a tang lookalike in that sized tank. Lemonpeels are flame angels are the most popular, but like people mentioned, they aren't completely reef safe. It depends on the fish, some never touch corals, and some completely ravage them.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom