Zack's 140 reef build :HELP WITH EQUIPMENT:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't use different lighting unless you totally changed out the entire tank. In other words, putting a AI Hydra in between those Kessils will look odd. If you like the Kessils, I would use three A350w Tuna Blue over that tank.

I think two Kessil 360s would be great on your tank but that is a pretty significant investment. I would still keep your 150s on. I know a guy with a 72g mostly SPS tank that uses two Kessil 360s on that size tank. As you likely know, the 360s are all adjustable between blue and white light whereas the early 150s are not. As far as flow, I have two MP 40s and two sicce voyagers on my 220g, which together with the system pump flow produces plenty of flow. Have you considered the new maxspect gyre instead of another mp40? I've been considering replacing the two sicces with one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think two Kessil 360s would be great on your tank but that is a pretty significant investment. I would still keep your 150s on. I know a guy with a 72g mostly SPS tank that uses two Kessil 360s on that size tank. As you likely know, the 360s are all adjustable between blue and white light whereas the early 150s are not. As far as flow, I have two MP 40s and two sicce voyagers on my 220g, which together with the system pump flow produces plenty of flow. Have you considered the new maxspect gyre instead of another mp40? I've been considering replacing the two sicces with one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
But this is a 5' tank. If you are referring to a 72 bow, then it's only 4'. If you like sps, I'd go with 3.

Ok so an Mp40. Maybe I will wait a little on the lighting. My neighbor is moving next week. He has a 300 gallon reef and he sold the house with the tank. He told me he has some extra toys he doesn't want that he will contribute to my tank :D I just hope the people moving in know how to take care of that tank

I have heard they require the lighting and the water flow. Which I don't think i have enough at this point

I love the way those Hydras look. I love the way the Scotch Radions look. But they cost so much more than the Kessil:(

I'm so excited to start growing these acans!!

any tips on growing cans? Placement as far as lighting and water movement?

Attachments

• mEH6Y9sQ0fqpYWli51MXmDQ.jpg
    mEH6Y9sQ0fqpYWli51MXmDQ.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 58
  • $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 75
  • $_1-2.JPG
    $_1-2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 94
any tips on growing cans? Placement as far as lighting and water movement?

The third pic of the acans are from Cornbred. They are Blue Panther Chameleon Acans. I guess they are high grade? I won the bid at $199.. Guess no one else wanted them. I was the only bidder.:ermm:

Last edited:
Great pieces Zach. Not sure what to tell you for placement, etc. only Acans I have kept alive (for 3 years now) are a colony of Orange Crush Acans. Started out the size of a quarter now the size of a baseball. Placement was bottom of a 90 gallon with a 4 bulb Tek T5 fixture, Ecotech MP-40 and Koralia 1450.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So from reading up a little and your previous experience I think bottom placement might be the best.

I hope i can get them propagating and they won't end up dieing:( So i want to give them the best chance that i can provide

Also today i noticed an open brain, that I purchased a few days ago, Has not opened up fully since i introduced him into the tank. Since this morning some of the skeleton has been poking through the flesh. I moved him into a little shadier spot thinking maybe it was the lighting? ANY Suggestions?

I usually dip my coral before putting the pieces in my tank. I believe the product is CoralRx. Ever since I started that, the corals have adjusted much better.

I already added them in. just saw your message. should i dip them in the coral rx?

Yeah, you can do it after you add them. I do it occasionally if I see a piece not doing too well.

Back
Top Bottom