Zack's 140 reef build :HELP WITH EQUIPMENT:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could i do the same for my Scolymia? He lost his color a while ago. Went from neon orange to purplish uglyish brownish... Now he is slowly regaining orange starting from the center.

I just got my Milwaukee refractometer today. I calibrated it and it said my salinity was 1.027. So I will de. be adjusting that over the next week. Now it says it is 1.026

Just wanted to say thanks again! You have been a lot of help! The acan has his feeder tentacles out. Problem is I ran out of the PE mysis a couple days ago. So the only meaty food I have now would be San Francisco Bay brand Brine Shrimp. I would have to wash the checkout of those if I wanted to feed them. Any experience with Coral Frenzy or Reef Roids?
My trumpet corals and Green star Polyps seem to love the coral frenzy.

Ok so my dad decided to buy me a surprise gift!

My dad decided to get me a surprise gift! He travels a lot and he loves to look at the tank whenever he is home. I told him I might be getting this light. Then i figured I might not need it for a while. Well... I guess I will just have to use them..:whistle: So excited to set it up. I guess the controller will be here tomorrow

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-07-43_37.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-07-43_37.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 61
Lights in the tank just kicked on! The acans look awesome and happy! I also found a set looking rainbow Acan on eBay for bidding! But what makes an can rare??

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-31_71.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-31_71.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 113
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-33_60.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-33_60.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-29_32.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-29_32.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 78
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-27_21.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-03-25-13-02-27_21.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 69
Very interesting. So It kind of gets into the rich mans luxury coral type of thing?

Nothing like paying $200 for a frag and then watch it die. I did that several times and it's like burning money in the street. I would sure save my money until you get rock solid in your coral rearing. Buy lots of those $10 and $20 frags. See which corals work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow. That's a little scary. Well that's what I did. It will be here on Friday. Hopefully I can take care of it. The ones I have are doing well right now. I guess a little to early to tell?

Pretty amazing how Cornbred Corals sell for so much more. Some of his stuff looks ordinary.. But I guess I can't say that because I don't know for sure.

So I got my salt just now. I am switching from the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt to the Tropic Marin Bio Active Salt.. I heard some good stuff about both brands. But I noticed I get a white film on the top of the tank(after water changes) the first couple days after using the Red Sea.

I have also been thinking about upgrading the tank by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. I don't know what size tank I should go with. But what I do know is the space I will be putting it in will create a room separator.
Length: So the space is 8 feet long.
Width: I can get away with a maximum of a 3ft wide tank (Although I think a 30in might be easier to work with).
Height: I guess should't be too tall do to lighting. It will have a canopy also/ Might build something so it is flush with the ceiling.
I will have to see how much of my stack that would burn. If it's not manageable I will settle for the same space it is currently in. 8 footer~~
I'll keep everyone posted on that and when i take the leap I will create a thread to document it from day 1:)

How long were you mixing the red sea salt? I know they recommend a much longer time than others, but it is most likely just clay or other neutral stuff left over from being mined and processed.

Just wanted to say thanks again! You have been a lot of help! The acan has his feeder tentacles out. Problem is I ran out of the PE mysis a couple days ago. So the only meaty food I have now would be San Francisco Bay brand Brine Shrimp. I would have to wash the checkout of those if I wanted to feed them. Any experience with Coral Frenzy or Reef Roids?
My trumpet corals and Green star Polyps seem to love the coral frenzy.

I use the coral frenzy once a week. I add it to get the feeder tentacles out prior to spot feeding. I will say the dosage on the label is pretty heavy. I only use about a 1/4 teaspoon for my 180 gallon reef.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

IMO/IME, you are much better off target feeding them if anything. I get a large syringe (you can order these online, used for administering medicine and feeding animals )
img_3191611_0_5c7f2982eb463789978f926833b0c6de.jpg

When lights are off and tentacles are out, turn off flow and squirt meaty foods into the tentacles. Otherwise, stuff is just going to blow right by them, and add to your bio load.

How long were you mixing the red sea salt? I know they recommend a much longer time than others, but it is most likely just clay or other neutral stuff left over from being mined and processed.

I mixed for about 2 days. no less than 2 and usually no more than 3. Do you think the Tropic Marin is a better choice? Is there a better type out there that does the job better and provides a healthier environment?

I use the coral frenzy once a week. I add it to get the feeder tentacles out prior to spot feeding. I will say the dosage on the label is pretty heavy. I only use about a 1/4 teaspoon for my 180 gallon reef.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info! I noticed even on the coral frenzy it says to put a lot in. I will start using it in moderation! :thanks:

IMO/IME, you are much better off target feeding them if anything. I get a large syringe (you can order these online, used for administering medicine and feeding animals )
img_3191627_0_5c7f2982eb463789978f926833b0c6de.jpg

When lights are off and tentacles are out, turn off flow and squirt meaty foods into the tentacles. Otherwise, stuff is just going to blow right by them, and add to your bio load.

First of all, I'm loving the Marty Feldman pic. I mean Igor pic from Young Frankenstein.:ROFLMAO:

I use an extending turkey baster and I have a few of those syringes. I found that out the hard way like many others I'm guessing:banghead: lol

I just calibrated my new Milwaukee Ph56 (3 hours later) and my tank water read at 7.7. I know this is a bit too low. Would using some Continuum basis KH buffer do the trick?

I mixed for about 2 days. no less than 2 and usually no more than 3. Do you think the Tropic Marin is a better choice? Is there a better type out there that does the job better and provides a healthier environment?

Salt is salt. Each has its ups and its downs. No matter what, you are going to have these neutral...whatevers...in the mix. After 2 years my mixing bucket has such a coating on it it actually started to flake off and needed rinsed out, though not all of it comes off even with a scrubbing. Pretty neat stuff that I don't really worry about.

Back
Top Bottom