Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

So I got my salt just now. I am switching from the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt to the Tropic Marin Bio Active Salt.. I heard some good stuff about both brands. But I noticed I get a white film on the top of the tank(after water changes) the first couple days after using the Red Sea.

I have also been thinking about upgrading the tank by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. I don't know what size tank I should go with. But what I do know is the space I will be putting it in will create a room separator.
Length: So the space is 8 feet long.
Width: I can get away with a maximum of a 3ft wide tank (Although I think a 30in might be easier to work with).
Height: I guess should't be too tall do to lighting. It will have a canopy also/ Might build something so it is flush with the ceiling.
I will have to see how much of my stack that would burn. If it's not manageable I will settle for the same space it is currently in. 8 footer~~
I'll keep everyone posted on that and when i take the leap I will create a thread to document it from day 1

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #72
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

How long were you mixing the red sea salt? I know they recommend a much longer time than others, but it is most likely just clay or other neutral stuff left over from being mined and processed.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyHiatt View Post
Just wanted to say thanks again! You have been a lot of help! The acan has his feeder tentacles out. Problem is I ran out of the PE mysis a couple days ago. So the only meaty food I have now would be San Francisco Bay brand Brine Shrimp. I would have to wash the checkout of those if I wanted to feed them. Any experience with Coral Frenzy or Reef Roids?
My trumpet corals and Green star Polyps seem to love the coral frenzy.

I use the coral frenzy once a week. I add it to get the feeder tentacles out prior to spot feeding. I will say the dosage on the label is pretty heavy. I only use about a 1/4 teaspoon for my 180 gallon reef.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
IMO/IME, you are much better off target feeding them if anything. I get a large syringe (you can order these online, used for administering medicine and feeding animals )

When lights are off and tentacles are out, turn off flow and squirt meaty foods into the tentacles. Otherwise, stuff is just going to blow right by them, and add to your bio load.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
How long were you mixing the red sea salt? I know they recommend a much longer time than others, but it is most likely just clay or other neutral stuff left over from being mined and processed.
I mixed for about 2 days. no less than 2 and usually no more than 3. Do you think the Tropic Marin is a better choice? Is there a better type out there that does the job better and provides a healthier environment?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post
I use the coral frenzy once a week. I add it to get the feeder tentacles out prior to spot feeding. I will say the dosage on the label is pretty heavy. I only use about a 1/4 teaspoon for my 180 gallon reef.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Thanks for the info! I noticed even on the coral frenzy it says to put a lot in. I will start using it in moderation!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
IMO/IME, you are much better off target feeding them if anything. I get a large syringe (you can order these online, used for administering medicine and feeding animals )

When lights are off and tentacles are out, turn off flow and squirt meaty foods into the tentacles. Otherwise, stuff is just going to blow right by them, and add to your bio load.
First of all, I'm loving the Marty Feldman pic. I mean Igor pic from Young Frankenstein.

I use an extending turkey baster and I have a few of those syringes. I found that out the hard way like many others I'm guessing lol
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I just calibrated my new Milwaukee Ph56 (3 hours later) and my tank water read at 7.7. I know this is a bit too low. Would using some Continuum basis KH buffer do the trick?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #79
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyHiatt View Post
I mixed for about 2 days. no less than 2 and usually no more than 3. Do you think the Tropic Marin is a better choice? Is there a better type out there that does the job better and provides a healthier environment?
Salt is salt. Each has its ups and its downs. No matter what, you are going to have these neutral...whatevers...in the mix. After 2 years my mixing bucket has such a coating on it it actually started to flake off and needed rinsed out, though not all of it comes off even with a scrubbing. Pretty neat stuff that I don't really worry about.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Ok that's good to know. So the PH shouldn't be a problem?

Tags
build, equipment, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com