zebra moray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pYrOmAnIaC

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey i am thinkin about gettin a zebra moray and i have read taht they are extremely docile to tankmates. does this also mean that they can go well together with other docile eels?

Many types of the more common eels sold in the trade can be housed together providing they have the appropriate room to grow and feel comfortable. In many cases they will actually share the same burrows as they become comfortable with one another.

Although eels are not that active unless it's time to fed, they still need a fair size tank to both accomodate their large adult sizes but also their large appetites. They create alot of waste and I would not recommend two in much less than a 150 gal tank. If this is for your future planned 240 gal, you should be fine. Just be aware that most inverts will not be possible, including larger snails. The can also be clumbsy around sensitive LPS and SPS corals.

Cheers
Steve

oh yeah, i was also wondering if instead of just puttin 2 zebra morays together, what about a zebra and a green moray?

Agreed, green morays are quite aggressive. When choosing which ones you might like, be sure to select ones with similar temperments (passive) and adult size. When it's time to add them, be sure there are plenty of seperately claimable territories until they acclimate to the new surroundings. Also be sure there are none much larger. They will eat much smaller species if provoked.

Try looking through >>fishbase<< (type moray in the common name search box). It will give you some background on each as well as a few tidbits at the bottom of each page concerning care and diet.

Cheers
Steve

I have an eel tank. It houses a very very large snowflake, jewel and two fimbriated morays. All are at their adult size.They get along great and group together in one big "eel knot".
I was going to get the zebra, but the opportunity to get the jewel came along and well...this is all the room in the tank. They are in a 100 gallon with a large sump and large skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom