Zebra Moray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am very interested in a Zebra Moray. I am putting together a wish list for a 125 Gallon FOWLR. I was hoping to have a zebra moray, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Tang, Lemonpeel Angel, Flame Angel, Flame Hawkfish, and Two Percs. I read on FantasyReef that they are not carpet surfers, Do I still need a covered aquarium? Also does the Zebra Moray go after stars if its well feed? Thanks for any and all advice!

Although Zebras are not known to be carpet surfers, there is always that possibility with any eel. I would still use egg crate on the top.

Eels normally do not eat starfish either. They prefer shrimp, crab,snail and clam as their invert hordeouvres.

Does the rest of my "wish list" look ok with a zebra? Aren't Zebra's the most peaceful of the eel's? Do they hide all the time? On fantasyreef they said they are social what does that mean? Thanks.

They are not out all the time. Mine is friendly, I hand feed it without danger of being bitten. It should not bother any of the fish. I would take social to mean that it gets along well with others.

Thanks a lot for the info Hara. I really want one of these guys. I have heard a few people say they even keep their cleaner shrimp with them without a problem. what do you think of this? Unlikely?

I personally, would not risk it, but that is me. I have never given my eels the opportunity to deprive me of 20. shrimp.

that is a good point but I do love the shrimp. It might sound cruel but I think I will give it a try. what about a spinny blue lobster? would that be lunch too? Thanks.

Eels eat shellfish. I would think it would be lunch too. I understand your desire to try...but I sure wouldnt try with a bunch at once. Lobsters are notorious for knocking over rock etc. Even if it wouldnt get eaten, it would probably be a pain in the tail.

Hey, you'll probably have problems with the Powder-blue and the Blue Tang in the same tank. Powders-Blue's can be extremely aggressive towards anything blue, especially a blue Tang. I would look at some other tang besides the Powder Blue. Like a Naso, Sailfin or Kole or Yellow or. . . well, anyone but the Powder-blue.

Back
Top Bottom