Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #181
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would have to look it up. I kept my 250s about 15" off the water and that was over 24" of water. I just see you having heat issues with it that close.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #182
is back to save the day!

Yeah.. i just edited my post a second ago. The water temp is at 84 degrees now. So i think i'm definitely going to have to raise it a couple inches. Think i'll still be able to have my zoas and LPS all the way at the bottom if i raise the light a bit?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #183
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You should be just fine with that light over that tank at any depth. I would go at the minimum 8" off water, that HQI will generate a lot of heat even with venting on top.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #184
is back to save the day!

Alright awesome. Gonna raise it to that height, and then i might put together a DIY fan setup. Got two brand new 120mm PC fans laying around the i'm sure i could convert to a regular outlet plug. just a little cutting, wire stripping and soldering and it should be good to go. Whatdya think?

Nevermind... doing something like that would make the fans explode lol.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #185
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can use an old cell phone charger to wire in the fans. They should be DC current if i recall correctly.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #186
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice pendant Kev. I dunno why but your tank looks taller than it does long to me.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #187
is back to save the day!

Yeah i agree Mitch.. doesn't look like a cube in the pictures. It does in person though.. I blame the camera.. :p

redneckgearhead, thanks a ton actually. I was looking for something that maybe had a transformer or some kind of adapter, but using a phone charger would make my life a heck of a lot easier lol. I'll see if it works. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #188
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dont use a battery charger to run fans. I am assuming your fans will require 12VDC and 200mA or so. You can get a "wallwort" at radioshack that will work just fine.

Battery chargers are designed to work in a much different manor than a power supply. They have a circuit meant to detect charging and charging progress, they arent a simply step down xfmr with a rectifier and filter.

Find the operating voltage of your fans and how much current they draw, then match them up to a plug in wall transformer from radioshack. Very, very easy!

Matt
Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #189
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Dont use a battery charger to run fans. I am assuming your fans will require 12VDC and 200mA or so. You can get a "wallwort" at radioshack that will work just fine.

Battery chargers are designed to work in a much different manor than a power supply. They have a circuit meant to detect charging and charging progress, they arent a simply step down xfmr with a rectifier and filter.

Find the operating voltage of your fans and how much current they draw, then match them up to a plug in wall transformer from radioshack. Very, very easy!

Matt
Ive used them countless times for various "projects". Matt may be right but they have never seemed to mind what i hooked up to them. They have always worked and been very reliable. Just my experience.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #190
AA Team Emeritus

Kevin, listen to Allen (Ziggy). He knows how to grow corals.

Too bad you couldn't go with an LED fixture. Since my switchover my tank stays at 79 all the time, my evaporation has decreased by half or more and I no longer need to run a fan. Big savings in the long run.

BTW, your tank looks great with that 20k. Can't wait to see it stocked.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cube, reef, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com