Zer0's 25G Rimless Cube Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i planned on measuring the volume in my sump by how far down i could go in my tank. i knew id be safe but still kinda nerve racking the first time

Thanks cmor! I made sure everything was perfect this time around since it was my first time with a sump and all.. but now that i come to think of it.. i guess i really only have a refugium. I'm not running a skimmer or any type of reactors.. and there's just a refugium. I store the heater in there.. but that's about it. I did get a small HOB filter that i plan to fill with carbon and some other stuff.. Just to see what it does and if it makes a difference. :p

And yeah harmy i know what your saying. The first time i had to to turn the return pump off to test it, i made sure my finger was on the switch to turn it back on just incase my sump was going to overflow lol.

Zer0, nice job on that sump. levels looks fine and I don't see any air bubbbles to worry about.

Thanks TC. :) I've spent so much time on this tank to make sure it was just perfect. Only thing that i MIGHT change.. is the return. In the first video, you can see that the return hose just goes directly on to the bulkhead.. when i really should have used a 3/4" 90degree elbow. That way the hose didn't have to bend. I've been running it since sunday and nothing leaks or anything like that.. but the design is crap lol.

Thanks dude. Now i just need to get this ro/di unit fixed.. and then i can bring the tank up to my room where it will stay. :) Then i can add rock and sand and start teh cycle! Woot.

Got it on ebay.. but made the mistake of buying the one that needs to be tapped in to the plumbing.. and not a portable one that can be plugged right in to the faucet or hose. Then.. got an adapter for it.. but the adapter doesn't fit any of my faucets or hoses.. sooo... yeah.

ok i dont want one i have to tap into the plumbing. ill be on the look out for that then.

Exactly.. i didn't want one either lol. Just look for a portable ro/di unit. Those are the ones that just connect right in to your faucets or hoses. Pretty simple. Now i have to look for a second adapter to fit the original adapter.. -_-

I use a garden hose adapter on my kitchen faucet when I want/need to make RODI water. I have a garden hose to ¼" adapter designed for RODI units (available on eBay). That way I remove the faucet aerator, screw in the kitchen faucet > Garden hose adapter > Garden hose to ¼" line adapter and start making my water. I actually keep the two adapters connected so all I have to do is remove the aerator and replace it with my adapter, then connect the water line between the faucet and the RODI unit.
Any RODI unit can be connected this way.

Kevin, do you have some power heads ready? You need more surface agitation.

Alright so... here are pictures of the tank so far. I had just taken out the shrimp yesterday.. and it seems my ammonia is already going down so hopefully my cycle will be coming to a close fairly soon.

Anyways, the camera i have sucks. I suck at taking pictures. So the full beauty of my tank will never be known until i get a better camera.. or if you saw it in person. It really looks so much better than what the camera shows.. Plus, i don't even have my Halide yet.. so i'm using a junky 18" NO bulb. Supposed to get the halide this Tuesday.. at least that's what FedEx says.. :p I'll take more pictures then too. The water is also still has a little tint of cloudiness because i never washed my aragonite sand. It's not a big deal though.. it only stayed really cloudy for a day or so. Going to be running Carbon and filter floss so it should be crystal clear in a week or something.

Without further adue.. here's my tank. Oh and i'll be taking a couple pictures of the fuge later today. Already getting algae and diatom growth! Woot!

FTS with Flash. Camera kindof distorts the picture.. Tank looks kind of bowed:
2nitlrt.jpg

FTS:
308uwdv.jpg

3rd FTS:
d7cr7.jpg

Right Side:
207vvbr.jpg

2nd Right Side:
2w35dt2.jpg

Top Down:
othj7p.jpg

Top Down closeup of Rocks:
2yyniqd.jpg

And one more i liked:
21orjpy.jpg

So.. i plan to have all SPS on the tall rock structure. Maybe with some Zoas growing up the sides, etc. The main rock in the front is going to be mainly Zoas, Rics, Shrooms, and then maybe a couple LPS. Also going to work a crocea or maxima clam in there somewhere.. maybe on the sandbed. I was really trying to go for a clean minimalistic look and i think i did a good job of that. Oh ya.. and no frags on the sand or any coral on the sand. I want the sandbed to be completely clear and clean of anything besides what's crawling on it like snails.. crabs.. etc.. I really like clean white sand lol.

As for fish.. i'm only going to have a YCG and a Blue Neon Goby. Two extremely small fish. Then i want one fish that doesn't need a lot of hiding places, because i hardly have any(except for the small fish). So i'm looking for any suggestions on that last fish.

As for the inverts.. it's going to be the norm. Ceriths, Nerites, a couple hermits, trochus, astreas, emeralds, cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp, porcelain crab, and then further down the road when the tank is established and going along smoothly i want to get a sea star.. probably a red fromia, and then possibly a nudi of some kind. One that eats algae. Might put him in the fuge or might keep in the main tank. Not sure yet.. but i'll figure it out as i go.

Also plan to get an MP10 when i have the money. I want to move the K1 to where the Nano is.. and then get rid of the nano completely. Just makes for a cleaner look since the MP10 is wireless and its amazing. But that's also further down the road since those things are expensive lol.

Big shoutout to Neilanh who helped me a ton getting this tank setup. Couldn't have done it without your help. ;)

Looking great, but that tall rock structure scares me! I know you have it anchored, but it just looks like it wants to fall :eek:
The tank does look great though. Pretty soon you'll be adding some life.

Is that all base rock in the tank, or is it just very bleached LR?

I'd offer to stop in and take some pics, but I already faced Reunions traffic in P'ton this morning (forgot what weekend it was).

I'm thinking about a group trip to Something Fishy tomorrow or Monday. Let me know if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom