Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

OMG, that is sooo horrible, I cant even imagine.

I really dont know what else to say, I just hope you dont let it get to you so much that you "get rid of everything"

I was going to ask you a dumb question but I'll wait to later as I dont want to bother you.

Again wow

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #92
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You are more then welcome to ask me any questions...there aren't any dumb ones by the way....

I'm not going to get rid of everything...I love my aquarium too much to do that. I'm not that upset really...It could have been much worse. I could have glass all over the place as well. I have everything cleaned up now and am getting ready for bed. Working nights isn't that much fun. Post your question and I will answer it as best I can.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know that post was mostly a vent on your part out of frustration. I'm sure here in the future it will seem more like a hobby again.

I was just going to ask if you need to prep the glass to paint the back, etch/sand/scuff or just clean it good(alky or similar). I'm familiar with painting(mostly metal/cars/parts/ect..), just never painted glass.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #94
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Looking at the 1st few pics you posted of the empty tank, I see what looks to be 1" foam under the tank, and I'm assuming your stand has a solid top. If so, that is not recommended and would void any new tank warranty. Glass tanks are made to be supported by the edges. Just look at any pre-made stand. Acrylic tanks are supposed to have a solid top stand and foam under them. It's possible the foam compressed on the edges and pushed up against the bottom glass. The weight of all the rock, sand and water pushing down on the foam could have caused a stress crack.
Check out The build project
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Thats awful ziggy. I wish i lived closer so i could come help you out. For all 101 questions you answered it would be the least i could do. Really sorry to hear about the tank. Hope everything works out ok.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #96
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
Looking at the 1st few pics you posted of the empty tank, I see what looks to be 1" foam under the tank, and I'm assuming your stand has a solid top. If so, that is not recommended and would void any new tank warranty. Glass tanks are made to be supported by the edges. Just look at any pre-made stand. Acrylic tanks are supposed to have a solid top stand and foam under them. It's possible the foam compressed on the edges and pushed up against the bottom glass. The weight of all the rock, sand and water pushing down on the foam could have caused a stress crack.
That is possible but I highly doubt it. The foam is only 1/2 thick and is the really dense kind.

I'm pretty sure we stressed it when putting it on the stand.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #97
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
I know that post was mostly a vent on your part out of frustration. I'm sure here in the future it will seem more like a hobby again.

I was just going to ask if you need to prep the glass to paint the back, etch/sand/scuff or just clean it good(alky or similar). I'm familiar with painting(mostly metal/cars/parts/ect..), just never painted glass.
All I do is clean it really well. I do use Krylon paint, that may help as their paint is supposed to stick to anything.

When you go to paint make sure that the top of your tank is covered. Try and do it outside if you can and a couple of coats is a good idea.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Major bummer.....very sorry to read about the pb and the tank issue. Hopefully your homeowners insurance will kick in.

Man that really stinks!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #99
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah...not one of my best days. Nothing in the house was damaged. The tank is in the basement and on a concrete floor so that is a plus. I guess it could have been a lot worse....
Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #100
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok...I have found a replacement tank. It is an AGA RR 120 with the same measurements as the 150 only 24" tall instead of 30. I can't decide if I want to go ahead and get the RR or just stick with the standard tank. Suggestions? At this point I'm open for just about anything...

I still have to figure out how to get my skimmer plumbed to the frag tank so I can get that skimming again. This is not what I was planning on doing today...

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com