Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, when I read that first post about eggcrate under the sand to support the LR I got worried for a second because on its face it makes sense and I just having my LR sitting on the bottom class (with the sand of course).

I also thoguht that eggcrate on the bottom would prevent the natural flow through the sand bed. I'm not sure what problems that might cause but I can envision stagnant areas where hydrogen sulfide would be more prone to build up due the anerobic conditions created. Somebody knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the eggcrate thing, but your thinking is the same thinking I had when I set up my tank. My LR is sitting directly on the glass, with the sand going in last.

The tank is starting to come back together. I have most of the rock in now, it is somewhat in a similar arrangement as it was before. I still have several large pieces to get in place as well as several that have corals attached. I've been making new SW like mad. I no doubt will be doing water changes every week for a little while. I'm thinking about running some carbon as well just as a precaution. I tested the water and right now the Nitrates are high at 30 but that is to be expected with all the sand being moved around. Ammonia and NitrIte are undetectable.

I'll have more tomorrow. I have some work to do tonight before bed.

Time for some new pics to update this thread!

I always thought that rock was supposed to go on the glass with sand added later to prevent the buildup of hydrogen sulfide under the rock, and prevent sand sifters from causing a rock slide.

Time for some new pics to update this thread!

I always thought that rock was supposed to go on the glass with sand added later to prevent the buildup of hydrogen sulfide under the rock, and prevent sand sifters from causing a rock slide.

It can be done either way. With the issues I have had I will go with the rock on the sand. A friend of mine in Dallas does the same thing. Sand then rock. I don't really have sand sifters so I'm not worried about a rock slide. No engineer gobies for me....

Ok so updated pics...The tank is still not completely full and I don't have all the rock back in it. I'm juggling my parents being in town and getting the tank back together...

Granite top
1011893smalljs8.jpg

FW Water test
1011892smallic1.jpg

FTS with sand and some rock
1011896smallmq9.jpg

Top downs...
1011902smallzg4.jpg

1011901smallrl8.jpg

1011900smallvt3.jpg

Side view
1011904smallnh2.jpg

Under the stand
1011894smallto3.jpg

That was the second can of paint. I put three coats on this tank where I only did 2 on the others. It turned out much better this time around.

I'll have the tank running tonight. I have enough water ready to finish filling it and let the pumps cycle the water through over night. I'll start putting the live stock back in tomorrow.

Well the tank is now running. I have 2 small pumps (1000gph each) for returns for now. I have to plumb the mega pump in. I got more of the rock in place and a few corals in the tank. I also have the RBTA in the tank now. It is going to be so happy to get some good lighting again.

Pics for Neilan:

Canopy rail/holder. You can see the 1X that I attached to sit on the rim of the tank. This worked very well coupled with the legs I had on the front of the canopy for the 72. The canopy just slides in place on the 120.
1011905smallxy7.jpg

Another view
1011907smallpf3.jpg

Hope that helps you out.

Current FTS of the 120

1011908smallqe8.jpg

We are going to do some moving around with the rocks tomorrow. I still have several rocks to get in the tank and all the corals to place. Oh and there is now 1 fish in the tank. It was hiding in a rock. My Magenta Dotty Back.

Updated FTS with the lighting back on the tank. I figured my RBTA might like having a little light for a change....
1011911smallko2.jpg

So glad to see your pushing through all these disasters and continuing to wow us with your great reefs. Good luck getting everything transfered back to the new new 120

Did you send your parents home yet? :)

This is really coming together now. You must be relieved to be so close to finishing this project.

When is the next project gonna start? :p

So glad to see your pushing through all these disasters and continuing to wow us with your great reefs. Good luck getting everything transfered back to the new new 120
Thanks it has been a challenge!

It is looking so good! Nice work!
Thanks! I'm pleased with how things have turned out this time around as well

Can I borrow your wife for my aquascaping?

Looks good

HA! My wife didn't help me this time around. She was busy doing other things. Most of that rockwork was done while the water was still cloudy and I couldn't see a thing.

Did you send your parents home yet? :)

This is really coming together now. You must be relieved to be so close to finishing this project.

When is the next project gonna start? :p

Yes the parents went home. They just called a few minutes ago to say they made it out of Baltimore on an earlier flight.

Hmmm...I'm not sure how to answer that. I hope the next project is the upgrade on the canopy/lighting and not a rebuild of the current reef.

I've been kicking some ideas around with Marc (Melev) about switching to Lumenbright reflectors for my tank. They need about 14" from the bottom of the reflector to the surface of the water. I have the room to do it above the tank but I would need to have them mounted to the celing. I'm going to draw something up and see what I can come up with.

So to answer your question I hope that is the next project I undertake.

I have decided that I will go with the Lumenbright Mini's for my tank. I'm going to do 2 of them and based on the output with these reflectors I will keep my current dual 175s.

They should be here in a week but the build for them will not begin for a few weeks. I need to let my reef rest and I have several other projects that MUST get done. One of which is finishing this dang 45' bus sitting at my garage.

I'll probably start a secondary thread on the lighting upgrade but copy all of it here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom