Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tank looks good, I like the new aquascaping too. How do you keep the coralline off of the black Eshopps overflows? I am pretty good about keeping it off the back glass, but it got out of control on me on the overflows.

Tank looks good, I like the new aquascaping too. How do you keep the coralline off of the black Eshopps overflows? I am pretty good about keeping it off the back glass, but it got out of control on me on the overflows.

Well the reason there isn't much coraline on the back glass or the overflows is because it has taken some time to get things back to normal after moving from the 72 to the 150 and then to the 120 and then again into a 120. This tank has only been up for a few months so the coraline hasn't had a chance to grow. There are a few places starting on the back glass and on the overflows. Personally I would rather the overflows turn purple the back glass it doesn't matter one way or the other to me.

I've been a bit busy at work, only 20 hours of OT this week :) The company I work for was sold (deal closing this week or next) and we had a lot of work to do as well as keeping up with current projects.

I was thinking of your frag tank. When will be posting a new for sale thread?

It seems that the cheap Chinese bulbs I tried just did not put out enough PAR. Together with a drop in some maintenance activities (Ca, Alk, Mg levels) I lost most of the sps. I changed to Ushio bulbs and what's left (the pink birdsnest I got from you) is now taking off and growing nicely.

Here's one of them. It was 1 thin stalk with a single thin branch when I got it from you....

Attachments

• PinkBirdnest1.jpg
    PinkBirdnest1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
  • PinkBirdnest2.jpg
    PinkBirdnest2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 53
Well I don't have a lot of SPS to sell right now. I went through a bit of a financial crisis a couple of weeks ago and sold off most all of my colonies I only have frags left. I have a ton of digitata in the frag system. I also have some Ziggy's Acro left. I have yet to frag them. It was an ordeal and I was afraid I would have to sell the entire system. Fortunately things worked out and I was able to keep the tank along with frags of almost everything.

Let me know if you are interested in the digi and the Ziggy's acro.

just curious ziggy, how long have you been doing saltwater tanks? all your pictures always look amazing.

My corals are coloring up nicely under the new Hamilton bulbs. I'm seeing some growth in the Hawkins again. All in all things are looking pretty good.

I drug out the old Nikon 35mm and took some pics of the tank. What a difference a real camera makes in photographing. I have to get the pics scanned so I can post them. I'll work on that over the holiday.

I got some of the film developed and the pics turned out ok. I have to mess with the camera a little to get the pics to look the way I want them to.

I scanned a few that turned out, here are a couple.
scan0052mediumdb8.jpg

scan0051mediumff8.jpg

Thanks. I got some other shots that turned out pretty good of the cardinals as well I just haven't scanned them yet. I have to get my book out on the camera again and re-learn setting the F-stop and all that to get better pics. It's been a while since I messed with the 35mm.

I got some awesome B&Ws I need to scan too.

Yeah, I got lazy over the weekend. I did a water change on the reef and moved a couple of pesky corals around and that was pretty much it.

I need to upload those pics and get them posted. Maybe I will do that later today.

You sure do bug me quite often about updates, yet it's been nearly 3 weeks since you've updated.

A little birdy told me there's been an addition...

You sure do bug me quite often about updates, yet it's been nearly 3 weeks since you've updated.

A little birdy told me there's been an addition...

LOL

Hmm since my last update there have been a few additions as well as a few changes and some designs on changes to come. I may have to write a small book to detail all the things about to happen to my reef....alas you all will have to wait until they start to happen.

As for new additions I was granted a Christmas present in the form of a tiny Flam Angel. I debated whether or not to put it in my reef and decided to give it a shot. I've ordered an automatic feeder to keep the silly angel off my corals. We will see how things go. I've always wanted one because of the beautiful colors so heres to hoping I got another good little angel. My coral beauty was a perfect member of the reef. This one better live up to that or it's back to the LFS.

I'll try and get a pic of it but most of you know what a flame angel looks like. Mine is about 2.5" long so it is tiny.

Wow, it took me a while to get through it but what an incredible thread. I am so sorry for all of the hardships you suffered throughout. Your tank is beautiful and an inspiration for us all. I currently only have a small freshwater tank as i am sure i do not have the funds available to start a reef yet but i am very grateful for the knowledge that i absorbed throughout this thread.

Wishing you the best in the new year,

Ian

Wow, it took me a while to get through it but what an incredible thread. I am so sorry for all of the hardships you suffered throughout. Your tank is beautiful and an inspiration for us all. I currently only have a small freshwater tank as i am sure i do not have the funds available to start a reef yet but i am very grateful for the knowledge that i absorbed throughout this thread.

Wishing you the best in the new year,

Ian

Thanks Ian! Welcome to AA! When I got started in the hobby I read through a thread on another site detailing every step of the way. I decided with this build I would try and document everything so I could share my successes as well as my failures with others. I'm glad you took the time to read through the thread. I hope I didn't scare you away from trying SW in the future.

I have a lot of updating to do to the thread but the holidays have slowed me down.

It certainly didn't scare me off, i think they are fascinating (i just won't let my wife read this thread until after i get one going lol). I intend on starting one as soon as i finally graduate university and get a bigger place. I personally am very glad that you have documented everything as well as you have.

I look forward to reading any updates and will be sure to continue following this thread.

Ian

Is there like a Hall Of Fame for Threads if so this one should be the first.... you got my vote. (y)

I'm glad things are turning back around for you Ziggy , tank is awesome
between reading neilanh build thread today and now this one my eyes are tired ,
but i could not stop reading , ,
but it is a inspiration to the ones who haven't started a SW yet on just how devoted you are to this hobby , i just want to say thank you for your thread

Is there like a Hall Of Fame for Threads if so this one should be the first.... you got my vote. (y)

LOL!! Actually it did blow me away when I saw the view count is now over 32,000 views. That is a lot. I guess I should do a better job of keeping things updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom