Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #261
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Score one for me! I found a piece of granite that will work for $70. That is a lot better then I was expecting to spend!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #262
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could always look at salvage yards for used counter tops/granite. there's one i know of near dc called community forklift
i dont know how far you are from there so it might not be cost effective. also if you are using just purchased lumber it is probably still very high in moisture content and will shrink as it dries so don't expect it to be level in a few weeks. pressure treated shrinks greatly in my experience sometimes upwards of 1/4 inch or more depending on the width of the board.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #263
Sliced Bread

You've got me scared to death, do you know that?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #264
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ziggy,

I'd like to suggest a point of caution. Pressure treated wood is often 'wet' from the treating process. As the wood dries out there is often a certain amount of shrinkage, especially in the dimension that measures across the grain. For decking and most other projects this is not a huge issue, but given your recent run of luck you may not want to risk it.

I don't know where your livestock is or how long it can stay there, but letting your new stand dry out for a couple weeks may be time well spent. It would be better to find out that things have changed before you put the tank on the stand.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:15 AM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
wow ziggy very sorry to hear that. You are having some really bad luck with this lately. Hope everything works out for you
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #266
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well the new stand is complete (ok so it isn't painted and I don't have all the plywood on the sides but it's close enough to get things set back up)...The 1" thick granite slab is on top of the stand and everything is perfectly level and flat. I spoke with perfecto and sent them pictures of the new stand and the granite top as well as the 1/16" gap between the top and the plastic trim. They assure me that that is well within the limits of their tanks and I have nothing to worry about. HAHA..I got it in writting this time.

I have the tank completely filled with FW for an overnight water test. I'm feeling much better about the way things look this time around.

Here are a few pics. If all goes well tonight I will start putting the reef back together tomorrow and Thursday.

The new new 120 filled with FW

Granite top showin under tank and beverage holder on either side..lol

Under the stand-Refugium side

Under the stand - Sump side. I am using only one of the 2 acrylic sumps from before

More info to follow. I have a lot of work to do to get things back together and I have to get ready for work now so....ttyl
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #267
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

BTW..yes there is more of the granite sticking past the tank on the right side. This was done on purpose.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #268
Sliced Bread

Glad you haven't given up. It'll all work out in the end game.

How is your livestock holding up?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Looks good so far. Don't think there is any way you can get another crack with it sitting on granite.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #270
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So far the live stock is doing fine. They are just cramped in the 55. I've lost the large orange monticap colony...other then that all is still doing well...I'm going to work at getting everything back in the tank over the next two days. I want to get things cleaned up. My wife is tired of looking at fish stuff all over the place. I have to admit so am I.

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com