Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #281
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, when I read that first post about eggcrate under the sand to support the LR I got worried for a second because on its face it makes sense and I just having my LR sitting on the bottom class (with the sand of course).

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #282
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
Wow, when I read that first post about eggcrate under the sand to support the LR I got worried for a second because on its face it makes sense and I just having my LR sitting on the bottom class (with the sand of course).
I had the exact same feeling.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #283
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
I also thoguht that eggcrate on the bottom would prevent the natural flow through the sand bed. I'm not sure what problems that might cause but I can envision stagnant areas where hydrogen sulfide would be more prone to build up due the anerobic conditions created. Somebody knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not really knowledgeable about the eggcrate thing, but your thinking is the same thinking I had when I set up my tank. My LR is sitting directly on the glass, with the sand going in last.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #284
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The tank is starting to come back together. I have most of the rock in now, it is somewhat in a similar arrangement as it was before. I still have several large pieces to get in place as well as several that have corals attached. I've been making new SW like mad. I no doubt will be doing water changes every week for a little while. I'm thinking about running some carbon as well just as a precaution. I tested the water and right now the Nitrates are high at 30 but that is to be expected with all the sand being moved around. Ammonia and NitrIte are undetectable.

I'll have more tomorrow. I have some work to do tonight before bed.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #285
AA Team Emeritus

Time for some new pics to update this thread!

I always thought that rock was supposed to go on the glass with sand added later to prevent the buildup of hydrogen sulfide under the rock, and prevent sand sifters from causing a rock slide.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #286
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Time for some new pics to update this thread!

I always thought that rock was supposed to go on the glass with sand added later to prevent the buildup of hydrogen sulfide under the rock, and prevent sand sifters from causing a rock slide.
It can be done either way. With the issues I have had I will go with the rock on the sand. A friend of mine in Dallas does the same thing. Sand then rock. I don't really have sand sifters so I'm not worried about a rock slide. No engineer gobies for me....
Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #287
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok so updated pics...The tank is still not completely full and I don't have all the rock back in it. I'm juggling my parents being in town and getting the tank back together...

Granite top

FW Water test

FTS with sand and some rock

Top downs...

Side view

Under the stand
Old 08-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #288
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Looking good again! How many cans of peek-a-boo blue have you gone through? I feel for you, way to stick with it
Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #289
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That was the second can of paint. I put three coats on this tank where I only did 2 on the others. It turned out much better this time around.

I'll have the tank running tonight. I have enough water ready to finish filling it and let the pumps cycle the water through over night. I'll start putting the live stock back in tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #290
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well the tank is now running. I have 2 small pumps (1000gph each) for returns for now. I have to plumb the mega pump in. I got more of the rock in place and a few corals in the tank. I also have the RBTA in the tank now. It is going to be so happy to get some good lighting again.

Pics for Neilan:

Canopy rail/holder. You can see the 1X that I attached to sit on the rim of the tank. This worked very well coupled with the legs I had on the front of the canopy for the 72. The canopy just slides in place on the 120.

Another view

Hope that helps you out.

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com