Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantasyreef has a cool little calculator. You input your tank footprint, how deep you want the sandbed to be, and it estimates the amount required. You didn't state how deep you want, so i can't run it for you, but it's at the bottom of this page.
FantasyReef Calculators

I was going through my thread and looking at the pics I posted back in October of last year of my corals and I thought it would be neat to show the amount of growth since then.

ORA Pink Birds Nest (Neilan's)
October:
1012053smallrk8.jpg

Today:
1012599mediumwd4.jpg

ORA Hawkins
October:
1012050smalloq6.jpg

Today:
1012593mediumqm5.jpg

I knew I was getting some growth in these corals and I only posted these two because the difference was amazing, but I see them every day and I don't notice the change as much. When I went back through the thread and saw how small they were in October compared with right now I was floored.

Anyway I thought I would share.

It's hard to notice growth like that when you see the tank and corals every day. I was actually looking for the pics of my sump and fuge for another memeber and was floored when I looked at the pics I posted in Oct. My computer is right next to my tank so I looked at the pics and turned around and could not believe it.

That hawkins colony looks amazing. What a beautiful coral. At that rate it will fill up your 120 nicely in no time.

I think I will pick up a hawkins this weekend. I have wanted that and the Pearlberry. I got the Pearlberry a couple weeks ago, so it may be time for hawkins now.

Update....

I finally took the plunge and got the ballasts to upgrade my lighting. I got really lucky as a local reefer was upgrading their lighting and I was able to pick up 2 250w IceCap ballasts for an awesome price. They are the old style but only about a year old.
1012608mediumxb6.jpg

I've got to get busy on redesigning the canopy and lighting system on my tank now. I'm still trying to decide which bulbs to go with. I'm really leaning towards the 10,000K Reflux bulbs but I'm not sure. I'm using 10,000K Hamiltons right now and I'm very happy with them but I think I may like the Reflux better. The reflux I tried some time back were 15,000K I think and I didn't like those but they were used and I got them for free so it was worth the try. The current hamiltons have proven to give good growth to my SPS so like I said. Still not sure which way to go.

I've just breezed through this whole thread - what perseverance you and your family must have to go through 2 busted tanks. I've only had 1 leak on my, a 37 tall that was on a home-made stand just above floor level, I moved it about 1/4" when it was about 1/3 full. That was before I understood the pressure put on the tank seals. Lost about 10g to the carpet, upgraded to a 55.

Never have had the ambition to start up a marine tank, but I'm a big SCUBA diver, when I get somewhere I CAN at least (FW diving is just not worth it to me) and I have to say your setup is gorgeous, those are the kinds of beautiful scenes I remember seeing while diving off Bimini in the Bahamas. Someday, when I have enough time and $ I definitely plan to 'dive' into a reef tank...

I've just breezed through this whole thread - what perseverance you and your family must have to go through 2 busted tanks. I've only had 1 leak on my, a 37 tall that was on a home-made stand just above floor level, I moved it about 1/4" when it was about 1/3 full. That was before I understood the pressure put on the tank seals. Lost about 10g to the carpet, upgraded to a 55.

Never have had the ambition to start up a marine tank, but I'm a big SCUBA diver, when I get somewhere I CAN at least (FW diving is just not worth it to me) and I have to say your setup is gorgeous, those are the kinds of beautiful scenes I remember seeing while diving off Bimini in the Bahamas. Someday, when I have enough time and $ I definitely plan to 'dive' into a reef tank...

Thanks for taking the time to read through the thread. Please don't make the same mistakes I did when setting up your tank! I appreciate your kind words it is a work in progress.

Wow, lookin good!

Yeah that birds nest of yours is growing like crazy I'm going to have to get it out of there and over to you soon. I 'm going to nip a few pieces off so I can have some to grow out again. I have a feeling it has encrusted onto about 4 different rocks.

Update....

I finally took the plunge and got the ballasts to upgrade my lighting. I got really lucky as a local reefer was upgrading their lighting and I was able to pick up 2 250w IceCap ballasts for an awesome price. They are the old style but only about a year old.
1012608mediumxb6.jpg

I've got to get busy on redesigning the canopy and lighting system on my tank now. I'm still trying to decide which bulbs to go with. I'm really leaning towards the 10,000K Reflux bulbs but I'm not sure. I'm using 10,000K Hamiltons right now and I'm very happy with them but I think I may like the Reflux better. The reflux I tried some time back were 15,000K I think and I didn't like those but they were used and I got them for free so it was worth the try. The current hamiltons have proven to give good growth to my SPS so like I said. Still not sure which way to go.

You have SE mogul bulbs right? What about trying out the Radiums? I also have 10k bulbs (Ushio), but I am thinking about switching over to the 20k Radiums next time to get the awesome color pop from the corals. From what I have heard recently, the growth is also great with the Radiums.

Ryshark,

I don't like the look of the radiums. The guy I got those ballasts from switched from XMs to radiums and he went with their 10,000K bulbs and they are too blue for my liking. I actually think I'm going to get reflux 10,000K bulbs and continue with my T5 and VHO actinics.

Tank, Hamiltons are available on a lot of different sites. marinedeopt, hellolights and several others. I've also seen them for sale on ebay.

Ziggy,
Its taken about 3 days for me to read this thread. Talk about a wealth of knowledge in one thread, unfortunately there's always mistakes and mishaps that go along with knowledge. Im new to this hobby and loving it and you have taught me a lot. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this, im sure it was hard at times. I havent seen to many pics of your old bowfront but the 120 looks great. Im looking foward to see what you do with your canopy. I have a 110 gallon that im going to build for and will probably follow your footsteps. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom