Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everything is running now. I have the tank completely full all fish corals and other stuff are now in their new home. I have to hook my other return pump up and get the max flow I can for now. The water is cloudy as to be expected but everything looks pretty good. Even the RBTA is out in full force. The fish aren't sure what the heck happened but they will get used to it. We weren't able to create the "two" mountain look in this tank. We have so much height that we had to build a large rock structure to get my SPS higher in the tank. I'm pleased with how it looks, for now... I'm sure we will redo some of it as the water clears and we start to really look at things. I have a ton of zoas on the sand bed right now we just don't have time today to get everything placed. I have to work tonight and then I'm off for the rest of the week...I'll get things looking better after the water clears up and I let the skimmer run for a while. BTW it went nuts when the water started pouring into it from the tank. I'll probably have to dump the cup before I leave for work.

Well here is a FTS after the canopy went back on and the lights fired up.
1011663smalldd8.jpg

A little closer to the tank.
1011661smalltp8.jpg

The water is cloudy and I'm only running one of the overflows and one return pump right now. I have some more work to do to get things fully functioning. My skimmer is going nuts. I have a ton of coral to put in place and probably some rock to move around a bit. I think we are pretty happy with how it turned out though. What do you guys think?

its looking awesome Ziggy! the RBTA is very vibrant still yet! Love the coperband as well. Cant wait to see it after it clears

Looks really nice... good work. Thats too bad about the Powder Brown. I have a PB also and I would hate to lose it. I'm sure you already have a replacement fish in your mind. Is that right, if so what is it?

Last edited:
Job well done looks great. Will have to see everything in a couple days when things are settled down and the tank is clear

Well gang...disaster strikes....I got a call from my wife at 4:30am this morning while I was at work. The tank drained to less then half. I got home as fast as I could and started taking everything back out of the tank. I have all my fish and most of my corals in the frag tank right now. All of the rock is back in the pond. I'm getting ready to take all the sand out of the tank.

As it turns out the bottom of the tank is cracked from one end to the other. I have no idea what happened or why but the 150 is shot.....

Oh man...what a bummer. That sucks.

But...look at the bright side. You got the tank for free and now you can get your 210 :)

LOL...After this ordeal I am very close to getting rid of everything....

For now all my stuff will go back into the 72....after that I don't know what I will do...I'm a little down at this point and I have 150g of water all over the floor.....

oh man... that REALLY REALLY sucks....... wow..... if its any consolation you have all the stands and canopies and everything else... a new 150 is only about $350... i know right now you dont wanna buy one but if you have all the tools in place for the 150 its not a huge expense to get a new one... i really feel for ya dude... what do you think caused this? was the tank defective from the get go or did it have something to do with the stand or the rock? man your head (and your feet) must be swimming right now

I believe we caused it when we put the tank on the stand....after we got it up and on to the stand we shifted the tank and I think that put stress on it. I'm not 100%sure but I think that is what caused it. The crack runs from the left front corner in an arch over to the right front corner. My wife and I talked about it and she told me to do what I want...so I'm going to start looking for a new tank...I have a ton of work to do when I get up...(I work nights so I haven't been to bed yet) I have to get my skimmer plumbed into the frag tank and running and I have to do a water change on the frag tank. All those fish and corals in a 55...whew....Hopefully I can locate a tank quickly and get started again! This time it will be reef ready no matter what....I'm not going to settle especially if I have to buy a new tank. I'm not sure I will go with a 150 again maybe drop back to a 120, not quite as tall...I don't know yet but I will keep you guys posted...

OMG, that is sooo horrible, I cant even imagine.

I really dont know what else to say, I just hope you dont let it get to you so much that you "get rid of everything"

I was going to ask you a dumb question but I'll wait to later as I dont want to bother you.

Again wow

You are more then welcome to ask me any questions...there aren't any dumb ones by the way....

I'm not going to get rid of everything...I love my aquarium too much to do that. I'm not that upset really...It could have been much worse. I could have glass all over the place as well. I have everything cleaned up now and am getting ready for bed. Working nights isn't that much fun. Post your question and I will answer it as best I can.

I know that post was mostly a vent on your part out of frustration. I'm sure here in the future it will seem more like a hobby again.

I was just going to ask if you need to prep the glass to paint the back, etch/sand/scuff or just clean it good(alky or similar). I'm familiar with painting(mostly metal/cars/parts/ect..), just never painted glass.

Looking at the 1st few pics you posted of the empty tank, I see what looks to be 1" foam under the tank, and I'm assuming your stand has a solid top. If so, that is not recommended and would void any new tank warranty. Glass tanks are made to be supported by the edges. Just look at any pre-made stand. Acrylic tanks are supposed to have a solid top stand and foam under them. It's possible the foam compressed on the edges and pushed up against the bottom glass. The weight of all the rock, sand and water pushing down on the foam could have caused a stress crack.

Thats awful ziggy. I wish i lived closer so i could come help you out. For all 101 questions you answered it would be the least i could do. Really sorry to hear about the tank. Hope everything works out ok.

Looking at the 1st few pics you posted of the empty tank, I see what looks to be 1" foam under the tank, and I'm assuming your stand has a solid top. If so, that is not recommended and would void any new tank warranty. Glass tanks are made to be supported by the edges. Just look at any pre-made stand. Acrylic tanks are supposed to have a solid top stand and foam under them. It's possible the foam compressed on the edges and pushed up against the bottom glass. The weight of all the rock, sand and water pushing down on the foam could have caused a stress crack.

That is possible but I highly doubt it. The foam is only 1/2 thick and is the really dense kind.

I'm pretty sure we stressed it when putting it on the stand.

I know that post was mostly a vent on your part out of frustration. I'm sure here in the future it will seem more like a hobby again.

I was just going to ask if you need to prep the glass to paint the back, etch/sand/scuff or just clean it good(alky or similar). I'm familiar with painting(mostly metal/cars/parts/ect..), just never painted glass.

All I do is clean it really well. I do use Krylon paint, that may help as their paint is supposed to stick to anything.

When you go to paint make sure that the top of your tank is covered. Try and do it outside if you can and a couple of coats is a good idea.

Major bummer.....very sorry to read about the pb and the tank issue. Hopefully your homeowners insurance will kick in.

Man that really stinks!!

Yeah...not one of my best days. Nothing in the house was damaged. The tank is in the basement and on a concrete floor so that is a plus. I guess it could have been a lot worse....

Ok...I have found a replacement tank. It is an AGA RR 120 with the same measurements as the 150 only 24" tall instead of 30. I can't decide if I want to go ahead and get the RR or just stick with the standard tank. Suggestions? At this point I'm open for just about anything...

I still have to figure out how to get my skimmer plumbed to the frag tank so I can get that skimming again. This is not what I was planning on doing today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom