Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #691
Aquarium Advice Regular

What kind of tank is that. It looks similar to the one I have.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #692
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The 55 frag tank?

I'm not sure what brand it is. I got it from a friend of mine to help clear out some space in his shed. It is a standard 55g tank my guess is it is an AGA but I don't know that for sure.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #693
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks like a 55, is that right? I had the center span break on mine while I was gone in the Bahamas for a week, the gap was closer to 1/2" if I remember right. From everything I've read, the glass is actually strong enough so that it wouldn't break if the center support gives way, so I wouldn't panic at this point. Nice fix though. I'd get a bar clamp instead though, so that you can squeeze it back together, then take a couple pieces of plastic and size them to fit on either side of the support bar, then glue them in place and let sit for a good long time before taking the clamp off.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #694
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
That looks like a 55, is that right? I had the center span break on mine while I was gone in the Bahamas for a week, the gap was closer to 1/2" if I remember right. From everything I've read, the glass is actually strong enough so that it wouldn't break if the center support gives way, so I wouldn't panic at this point. Nice fix though. I'd get a bar clamp instead though, so that you can squeeze it back together, then take a couple pieces of plastic and size them to fit on either side of the support bar, then glue them in place and let sit for a good long time before taking the clamp off.
Good suggestion. Yes it is a 55g tank. I just don't know who made it, my guess is AGA.

When I cut the PVC I made is shorter then the span so I could pull the center back together. I closed the gap to a little less then 1/8" when compared to the ends of the tank.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #695
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did not know that they were "load bearing" if you will. I cant see how that would make the tank either shatter or anything like that. It was flexing the glass part tho ziggy... I would have crapped my pants. Do you know what caused it to weaken and break?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #696
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The center brace of any tank that has one is important. Tanks without a center brace usually have euro-style bracing around the edges. You never want to remove the center brace of a tank it is there for a very good reason.

I think it is because of the age of the tank and the fact that I've been baking it under MH lighting for some time. I didn't get the tank new so I don't know the history of it. I expect it was stressed before I got it.

My solutions is working, I'll do something more permanent after my parents visit this weekend.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #697
Aquarium Advice Freak

Same thing happened to my AGA 45Gal. I ended up replacing the entire top collar. My LFS ordered me one and It cost me $15 plus a tube a silicone.

Bad thing was I had to empty the tank to do it and the Old Collar was a b$#% to remove.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #698
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I don't think I'm going to go through all that. I'll come up with something permanent that will work. I'm not draining the tank that is for sure! I have way too many corals in there plus I have 5 fish in the tank as well. Right now the PVC is working beautifully so I'm going to leave it alone.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 AM   #699
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

I've kept a few freshwater tanks in the past and now have a few empty tanks that are just sitting in the garage. I'd been thinking of setting one up again for a while now. I took the girlfriend to a few local fish stores to look at fish for her new tanks and she fell in love with the reef tanks. I've always wanted to set one up but didn't know much about them vs a freshwater setup. I've spent the last two months doing research on the net and learning a lot.

I have to say that you have inspired me to go through with it. Your tank is beautiful and I think I've learned more good information in this thread than a lot of what I've learned in the last two months. Thank you for going through the trouble to document everything in such detail.

Brian
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #700
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Brian,

Welcome to AA!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this. I'm glad that some of my experiences have helped you out. Starting off slowly and researching everything before making a decision will save you lots of time, money and headaches!

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com