Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #771
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ziggy, how many pounds of base rock (live or dry)???do you have versus actual live rock. BTW the tank looks amazing. Also I may have asked you this before but how many pounds of sand do you have in your current system?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #772
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would say pretty much all of my rock is "live" at this point. I don't remember the exact amount of lbs I got either way. I would say I started out with a mix of 50% base and 50% live. When I upgraded to the 120 I had almost 200lbs of LR at that point. I added some rock to the mix and that was base maybe 50-60lbs. Most of that went into my sumps for added filtration.

I believe I started with 120lbs of sand. I'm about to add another 30lbs to the tank. The increase in flow has moved my sand around the tank and I have a nice large bare spot in the front middle of the tank.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 AM   #773
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
Absolutely breathtaking Ziggy. You have an amazing array of corals and fish and the lighting is perfect. I'm extremely impressed and plan on using some of your styles and how you put corals together around the tank. Awesome freaken tank.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #774
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Looks like your RBTA has moved. Did you do that or did it crawl around on it's own. Mine has been all over the place and i have not been able to get it to sit still.

Zoas look great. Going to look really cool once they all start to grown together and what not. Just picked up a small frag of sunset monti a few weeks ago.

Tank looks great as always. can't wait to actually see it in person. Pictures just never capture a reef tank no matter the photographer or camera.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #775
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats def. a projuect! i feel like such an under achiever with my little 47 gal..lol bit i dont think im supposed to have it in my apartment that big shhhh!!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #776
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr86mister View Post
Absolutely breathtaking Ziggy. You have an amazing array of corals and fish and the lighting is perfect. I'm extremely impressed and plan on using some of your styles and how you put corals together around the tank. Awesome freaken tank.
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm glad you found the thread useful, just don't make the same mistakes I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Looks like your RBTA has moved. Did you do that or did it crawl around on it's own. Mine has been all over the place and i have not been able to get it to sit still.

Zoas look great. Going to look really cool once they all start to grown together and what not. Just picked up a small frag of sunset monti a few weeks ago.

Tank looks great as always. can't wait to actually see it in person. Pictures just never capture a reef tank no matter the photographer or camera.
Actually the RBTA is still attached to the same place it was just sticking out on the other side of the rock. It is where it started out and where I would really like it to stay. I'm looking forward to showing you the tank in person as well. I'm also looking forward to helping you set up your monster tank once you've gotten settled up here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice28 View Post
thats def. a projuect! i feel like such an under achiever with my little 47 gal..lol bit i dont think im supposed to have it in my apartment that big shhhh!!
Don't feel like an under achiever!!

My lips are sealed.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #777
Aquarium Advice Freak

naa i dont lol i actually drew up plans for a tank well a few of them im just not yet in the position to make um yet. my coffee table will be my first project. BUT the whole set up looks gtreat!! you conteractor is a beast! As far as you heat problem, i dont know if itsd vented but you could put some vent holes/ slats in it might help, depends on how hot its getting
Old 03-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #778
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice28 View Post
naa i dont lol i actually drew up plans for a tank well a few of them im just not yet in the position to make um yet. my coffee table will be my first project. BUT the whole set up looks gtreat!! you conteractor is a beast! As far as you heat problem, i dont know if itsd vented but you could put some vent holes/ slats in it might help, depends on how hot its getting
??

I think this was a response intended for another thread....
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #779
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you have the tank sitting on? Is it a padding of some kind
Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #780
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The tank is sitting on a custom built stand and ontop of that is a 1" thick slab of granite.

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com