Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one on hold at the LFS still. I'm not sure if I'm going to pick it up tomorrow or not. I have several other things I need to get. Salt and a couple of heaters. I'm down to 2 and that makes me nervous. I have at least a couple more weeks before we fire up the wood stove and the house can get rather cool. My water temp was down to 76.8 today so I had to dig out one of my old heaters to help out.

I'm going to the LFS tomorrow, so we will see what I come home with. It all depends on what he has in stock.

Wow! So I just read through this entire thread and I cant even belive it all. You have gone through so much and your tank looks amazing! I must say this thread has further inspired me to want to have a saltwater tank. Unfortunately my finances dont support it now...so perhaps a nano reef!

Great looking tank, it was well worth all the work!

Wow! So I just read through this entire thread and I cant even belive it all. You have gone through so much and your tank looks amazing! I must say this thread has further inspired me to want to have a saltwater tank. Unfortunately my finances dont support it now...so perhaps a nano reef!

Great looking tank, it was well worth all the work!

Thanks!

It has been an interesting ride these last several weeks.

Small in the SW world does not equal easier. If you are wanting to get into SW go as large as you can. Larger tanks are much easier to maintain and keep balanced.

Well after much debate I decided today to pick up a wrasse. I really wanted to get a Leopard but they didn't have any. I started looking at the other wrasses BRK had in stock and I found one that caught my eye. I've looked at them before and I know a lot of folks have them on the site. I just haven't seen one that caught my attention like this one did.

So....here is my newest addition to the tank

1011974smallea5.jpg

McCoskers Flasher Wrasse. And a neon goby to replace the one I lost in the tank disaster. Plus my son was with me and wouldn't let me get a fish for me unless he got one too.

Thanks. Well I have wanted to replace the neon goby since I lost it. BRK hasn't had any in stock the last couple of times I've been there. They had them today so I decided what the heck. I also picked up another bucket of salt. I have lots more water changes to do over the next few weeks.

My canopy covers the tank for the most part. They way my T5s are across the back of the tank it would prevent the fish from getting out...but I guess it is still possible. I do not have any cover on the tank. I've thought about putting egg crate but I just don't know....

Hey Ziggy, I hate to ask a noobish question, but where did you learn to do all the plumbing, CL system stuff? Is there an article here somewhere that details how to do it all?

I eventually want a 120 gallon tank as well, but I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Hey Ziggy, I hate to ask a noobish question, but where did you learn to do all the plumbing, CL system stuff? Is there an article here somewhere that details how to do it all?

I eventually want a 120 gallon tank as well, but I wouldn't even know where to begin!

I learned how to do all the plumbing from reading various threads and looking at other people's setups.

A closed loop is a very simple concept really. Water comes out of the tank and then gets squirted right back into it. Where to put your holes is what gets tricky. Hole placement depends mainly on how your rock work is structured. Read through lots of threads and look at the way people have their system plumbed. You will start to see the logic behind the maze of pipes and it will just click. That pretty much what I did.

Perhaps when you upgrade to a larger tank.?.?

I've always thought they were cool looking fish but never really had any interest in having one. Lately though I have wanted to get different more interesting fish and corals for my tank. I figure since the mess I went through I should do what I want at this point.

I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with smaller tanks. The biggest I may go is a 33 long. I wanted to get one of those Gobies to. A LFS up here had one but my tank wasn't done cycling at the time.

Well I did a 32g PWC yesterday to get these nitrates in check and I have 32g more mixing right now. I'll probably do a PWC every few days to get things back to normal. I tell you, stirring up a sand bed creates a mess!

I'm starting to see growth in my SPS again, they have been somewhat lax in the growth department over the last couple of months. Getting them back in the good flow and lighting has helped a lot. My RBTA is starting to darken again and is staying open pretty much all the time. My silly clowns go from it to the Duncan and back again.

Oh I found something interesting out about the "teal acro" that I have sold lots of in the past. I have been told by a few sources that it is actually ORA Scripps Acro. After looking at several pics of the Scripps I tend to agree with them. What ever it is I have dubbed it Ziggy's Acro. It is probably the fastest growing coral in my system and one that I have TOO much of.

My ORA Hawkins is starting to polyp out again. It wasn't looking so great there for a while. I think all the time it spent in the frag tank took a toll on it. After 2 weeks of being back in the 120 and under far batter lighting and lots more flow it has colored back up and the polyps have extended. I'm hoping to see some good growth in it over the next several months.

My superman monti is coloring back up too. It's not growing as fast as I would like but it is growing.

I've put a lot of my zoas in the 120, at first I wasn't going to put them in at all but I decided they do add a nice element to the tank. All of them are looking great! I've decided to use one rock in the tank as a multi-colored zoa garden.

Those of you in my area that are in need or want some macro please let me know. It is almost time to do some pruning in the fuge. I would rather give it away then throw it away.

That's about all for now....

Speaking of the ziggys teal (scripps) acro, I know it looks awesome in the top down shots. How does it look straight on from the side thru the glass view? Does it look mostly brown with teal polyps or mostly teal? I haven't purchased a Red Planet yet because one of my LFS said ORA may be releasing a new one tomorrow. If this is true I want to wait and see what it looks like.

I am in the need of some macro and FREE is what i like. Was going to get some a Mr. Coral but he was about out and was not selling any when I was there on Saturday. Just let me know when you are ready to get rid of some.

Speaking of the ziggys teal (scripps) acro, I know it looks awesome in the top down shots. How does it look straight on from the side thru the glass view? Does it look mostly brown with teal polyps or mostly teal? I haven't purchased a Red Planet yet because one of my LFS said ORA may be releasing a new one tomorrow. If this is true I want to wait and see what it looks like.

My top down shots of the acro are a little skewed in that I have a lot of actinic supplement. The acro looks very teal when looking from the front of the tank. The top down shots make it look more blueish. It's a very nice looking coral all the way around I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom