Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #201
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,532
Hm...wonder where the issue is stemming from. Any media being run?
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #202
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Hm...wonder where the issue is stemming from. Any media being run?
I have a two little fishes phosban reactor running with carbon and filter floss. I have been changing the media out regularly. So its not a build up from that. I think it was a build up of crud in the sand. I rinsed the heck out of it when I put the tank back, probably should have just put new sand in the system. That's really the only thing I can think of.
__________________

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #203
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,532
Ewww....old sand. The cause of every issue known to man. You could always just remove it all and be bare bottom for a couple of weeks to see if things are improving before putting a new sandbed down.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #204
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
I have considered that actually.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Ewww....old sand. The cause of every issue known to man. You could always just remove it all and be bare bottom for a couple of weeks to see if things are improving before putting a new sandbed down.
+1 Sounds like a sensible plan. Hows the phosphates reading?
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #206
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
+1 Sounds like a sensible plan. Hows the phosphates reading?
Phosphates are undetectable but I believe that is because the algae is eating it up so fast. Clearly there is excess nutrients in the system because the algae has a good foothold in the tank.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Phosphates are undetectable but I believe that is because the algae is eating it up so fast. Clearly there is excess nutrients in the system because the algae has a good foothold in the tank.
I forget what all you have in your system. Do you run GFO or anything for phosphates? Phosphates where my biggest problem untill I started running GFO. Always had some type of algae. It thrives when phos us present if only a little IME.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #208
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I forget what all you have in your system. Do you run GFO or anything for phosphates? Phosphates where my biggest problem untill I started running GFO. Always had some type of algae. It thrives when phos us present if only a little IME.
I am out of GFO. Right now just running my skimmer and a reactor with filter floss and carbon.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #209
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,532
Have you tried anything like Phosguard? Stuff has a shorter life span than GFO, but is pretty effective and not so hard to tumble.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #210
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Have you tried anything like Phosguard? Stuff has a shorter life span than GFO, but is pretty effective and not so hard to tumble.
I have not.
__________________

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, rebuild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40b display w/ 40b sump/refugium blert Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 12 07-11-2012 02:34 PM
Ziggy's Nano Ziggy953 Nano Reefs 36 01-29-2009 01:14 AM
Corals From Ziggy Ziggy953 Archive 8 11-12-2008 01:40 PM
New frags from Ziggy cmor1701d New Acquisitions 20 06-24-2008 02:08 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.