Ziggy's Nano Build (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here are some more pics on the progress of the stand.

I put the top trim on the stand base. This is the same 1x6 used at the bottom without arches cut into it. I mitered the corners for a nice finish.
001iai.jpg

Some blocking that was done to catch the side panels as well as finish out the inside of the cabinet. along the bottom of the 1x6 trim you see a 1x2 running horizontal, this was done to mimic the reveal at the bottom with the base.

The small vertical block you see is there for the side paneling to attach to. I have it recessed about 1/4". The side panels are made from 1/4" MDF.

The second pic shows 3 blocks attached and you can see that i have done the same on all corners of the stand.
005wxy.jpg

006jnj.jpg

Side panel one..in
003gn.jpg

A close up...
004oub.jpg

Here's a pic of the cabinet with the top on and the rest of the trim work done.
008udr.jpg

Another view
009uns.jpg

And another
010cuc.jpg

A view of the cabinet from the front.
013fy.jpg

The font bottom
014lw.jpg

Cabinet with the 40g tank on it.
016vg.jpg

Here is the tile top that I’m going to do for the stand. They are just sitting there for a photo-op
011cf.jpg

012ad.jpg

No solid one piece granite top?!?!?!? lol
Stand is looking good. Paint or stain? what color?

I looked for a granite top actually and could not find one.

The top is going to have 1/4" Hardi-Backer Board for the tile on top of the already 1/2" MDF that you see in the pics.

I'm going to paint the stand Chocolate Brown.

Looking real good. Another 40b build nice!!!

Thanks!

I am happy with how the stand looks so far. I can't wait to get it to a point where I can get it in the house and paint it.

I have to finish a few things up on it before I bring it in.

What are you guys thoughts on painting the inside... I was planning on painting it white. What do you all think???

I will be using exterior paint for the stand inside and out...

oh and my cooling fans came in today....waiting on the RKE...Thursday!

I think any light color would be good. Maybe an almond to compliment the chocolate brown. High gloss would probably make it easier to clean up if it gets any salt crust on it.
I'm sure you already know but be very careful with the tile work. Don't want one of them little tiles sticking up a tiny bit and creating a crack fulcrum. There is Community Forklift in hyattsville that sells granite pieces real cheap that should be big enough to cut to size. They are a salvage, surplus & green building materials store. Like a habitat restore.

The tile doesn't worry me much since they are so thin. I don't think it will be an issue with this tank since it is so small. I would not do this on a larger tank that is for sure. I would like to do a nice granite top however I don't have the ability to drill through it and I want the plumbing to go straight through the top into the stand.

We will see...

I got goodies today!!!

001zim.jpg

002bsis.jpg

003yo.jpg

004jf.jpg

This weekend I will complete the build of the stand and have it prepped for paint. I'm also going to build the canopy. I hope to be to a point where I can start plumbing soon!

Well I’m getting closer and closer to finishing this cabinet. We have some yucky weather on the way, some say rain some say snow either way I plan to spend most of my day in the garage working on the stand. I built the canopy today. I have a few things to finish up and some logistics to figure out. I haven’t decided how I want to do the top/lid and I haven’t figured out exactly how I’m going to mount the Heat sink with LEDs on it inside the canopy. Anyway I’m sure you all want to see pics so here we go…

The front face frame of the canopy…
001svm.jpg

Notice I drilled and counter sunk the screws on the face frame. This is the center brace I did the same on the ends..
002tno.jpg

003mkv.jpg

The sides were built in the same fashion. After they were assembled I built the box itself. Here it is on the tank. I put braces along the sides of the canopy that rest on the trim of the tank and keep the canopy level and just low enough to cover the plastic trim

004lhr.jpg

Here you can see that I have added one of the panels to the side.
006dx.jpg

Here you can see the brace that rests on the trim of the tank
007ahc.jpg

Side with finish trim in place
012tyb.jpg

013fdi.jpg

Here is the front of the canopy with the panels in place
015fux.jpg

Trim in place on the panel – left side
017nv.jpg

018utc.jpg

Both sides with trim in place…
020de.jpg

Here we have the canopy on the tank
023es.jpg

026sy.jpg

027ydv.jpg

029cqg.jpg

Thanks man!

The stand is nearing completion. I built the doors and have them mounted as well as puttied and sanded the stand. I've put a coat of primer on as well. Final painting will be done in the house...

Pics will be up soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom