Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

zoa guidance please

ive had a few zoa frags for a few months now. they are healthy and colored up nicely (especially after adjusting to the leds) but they dont seem to be spreading that much. they aren't dying off or even losing color. its almost as though they are holding steady. any guidance as to what i can do to help "boost" their growth would be awesome! i dont have an up to date parameter readings other then ph hangs between 7.8-8.2 temp s 77-79. and trates are right near zero. im going to get new readings tonight.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alkalinity affected my zoas in a big way, my $10 a polyp zoas mostly.. I hadn't checked my alk in a while and once I fixed it, they started growing at a good pace. Alk is the first thing I check when things are looking iffy...

If thats all good I suppose you could try different coral foods... Not my favorite as the phosphate always seem to spike with them... hmm

Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Foods won't help zoa growth. It depends on the zoas at times, but alk levels are important like stated above.
Example is my orange bam bams growing pretty slow where my eagle eyes are over growing the plug so fast I moved them into the sand.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Like hank said some morphs grow much faster than others. My blue hornets grow slower than molasses. Whereas my fire and ice I could watch grow lol. The higher end morphs grow quite slow
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

^Food was a suggestion but not something I recommend due to that fact that after reading countless threads, it really comes down to the zoa itself.. Alk is a must though for softies.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

thanks for the responses everyone! i havent had the chance to check the alk levels.im going to do that when i get home this evening. been a crazy week at work.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got a few frags and most have stayed about the same. My Eagle Eyes stayed at like 5-6 for about 5 months and have suddenly decided to grow into about 12-15. My Blue Tubbs have stayed at 5...my Lakers have not grown, my Midas have added maybe 3-4 lately, but are growing separate from the main colony of about 12. It all seems kinda random with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I decided to frag a single polyp from each colony of zoas we have and glue them on a new rock. I've been doing some research and it seems common that when zoas completely cover a rock and don't move outward, they will grow upwards to get light. So I figured give them plenty of space and see what happens. So far they have all fully recovered from the transport and if they do manage to spread and cover this rock, it's going to look crazy. 6 different zoas mixed together
Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

For the longest time I had a issue with my ph and alk staying stable , nothing ever seemed to grow my LPS , zoa's , leathers even my macro's I planted ,
I slowly started dosing , things first started getting more color than all of a sudden I started to see growth LPS started to grow new heads than the zoa's started spreading out on the rocks , and the leathers seemed to inflate more ,
I slowly cut back dosing after things got stable now I dose every 5 days
with happier corals and better growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com