Zoa not growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had this zoa frag for 2 years now and it hasn't grown at all. I've tried different heights, light levels, light fixtures, and flow rates none of which has seemed to change how it acted at all which is a shame because I really like them.

Does anyone have any input on this? All the rest of my corals are growing great, including zoas, palys, montipora, Acropora, Duncan, leathers, mushrooms, and a Frogspawn. This is the only coral I have that's not doing anything.

qe2MkuA.jpg

8.1 pH
10.8 Alk
380 Calcium
1280 Mag
5 Nitrates
0.01 Phosphates

Based on the picture the polyps are not extended which makes me inclined to say it's getting a lot of light where it is placed. If a Zoa is extending it's polyps out it's reaching for more light ultimately. I would try dropping this coral to lower light, maybe even partially shaded, and see if it doesn't extend it's polyps out further to grab the light. This will allow more light to touch the base of the zoanthid to promote more growth.

I have had great great success at getting zoanthids to grow with daily spot feeding individual polyps with .5mm pellets with no water flow.

Also, corals need to get used to flow and light levels before they will start to encrust new areas. It is possible it's waiting for you to find it's final location to not be disturbed before it begins to grow.

Feeding really helps.

Back
Top Bottom