Zoa question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium_Guru

Aquarium Advice Freak
How fast do zoa spread on live rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks well be getting some this week il post pictures

Zoas are an odd critter. I've had two of the exact same zoa side by side, where one colony is happy and the other wasn't. Differences in flow are extremely important with zoas, and any other type of soft coral IMO.
So, to keep zoas happy and healthy, the answer is simple. Have proper lighting above the tank. If they don't open up, try a different spot with a different flow pattern. When they are happy they will spread. This can vary from zoa to zoa. A poor way of looking at it is that the more expensive or rare the zoa, the slower it will grow. Though a poor way of looking at it, it always seems to hold water when I look at it.

Like they said all spread at different rates. They must be fed either by fish poop or target feeding.

highly disagree. I do not feed my zoas and do not have live stock. they get most of their food from the light we provide. trying to target feed zoas is more likely to cause excessive nutrients which could cause further issues.

Ok thanks I have a really good flow will post pics of the Zoas once I get them

I bought 6 eagle eyes about 7 months ago now there are about 70. I also bought 6 tubs blue 5 months ago now I have like 12. Last week I bought two mindblower palys now are 6. All of them have very weird tastes I think. It's trial and error...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Help just got the zoa in the mail is it dead or it just hasn't open yet ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416419448.611355.jpg

They sometimes take a while to open up.

I agree that different Zoas look for different things and grow differently. I started up my 60g reef just about a year ago. I have several Zoas and some have grown like weeds, others have doubled in number, while others have barely grown. Some also look bad when others look good and then they switch. My Grandis Palys were closed for almost two months while my Desert Storms looked great...now the Grandis are open and my DS are closed. Go figure...

Ok thanks so I'm thinking of buying many frags to see if I can get one that spreads quickly il post pics once it opens

How fast do zoa spread on live rock?

It depends of the params and the types of zoans.

The best performances I got is with a kind of reddish brown zoans, they spreaded like 1-2cm/months on a live rock.

I also have mix of red and green zoand rocks. The red ones tend to spread better and faster than the green ones, they gros like 0.5 cm/months on frags rumble rocks. I also have radioactive green zoans, they don't really spread quick, but they get more density. I also had kind of orange and blue zoans, they never growed/spreaded and also they got zoa pox disease.

Params:
20g
Mg: 1400
Ca: 420
KH: 8°-10°
R420R LED 60W Dimmed at 80% - 80%

Adding a bit of liquid phytoplankton to the water column once or twice a week.

For the water flow, I never any issue both with strong or ow flow, I would say give them just a bit less flow it takes to keep them closed and they'll be happy. If they unglue from the frag/rock, it means flow is too strong.

Some zoans are REALLY toxic, if you're not sure of the specie, at least wear protective glasses when manipulating them, they can spit toxin when they're out of water.

highly disagree. I do not feed my zoas and do not have live stock. they get most of their food from the light we provide. trying to target feed zoas is more likely to cause excessive nutrients which could cause further issues.

That doesn't mean your zoas are spreading at a maximum rate.

I agree with Matty. They do not need to be target fed and they can do just fine without fish in the system. I don't see having fish as a potential problem, but target feeding could cause problems. I'm not sure either will ensure maximum growth. I feel flow and proper lighting contribute to that more.

I don't see how fish poo would help with any coral ?????? I started spot feeding with Rod's food about a month ago. Growth didn't really change

I agree with Matty. They do not need to be target fed and they can do just fine without fish in the system. I don't see having fish as a potential problem, but target feeding could cause problems. I'm not sure either will ensure maximum growth. I feel flow and proper lighting contribute to that more.

Never said they wouldn't do just fine. They are more likely to spread faster with a balanced diet.

You say they need flow? What does flow bring them? Food.

The topic of this thread is talking about spreading zoas. Not how well they will do with no food source other than light.

I don't see how fish poo would help with any coral ?????? I started spot feeding with Rod's food about a month ago. Growth didn't really change

Me 2.... Why coral food is made of zoo/phyto plankton, of worms, shrimps, fishs, etc...

DRIED FISH POOP CORAL FOOD !
100% PURE AND ORGANIC

Better eat cow poop then lol !

Back
Top Bottom