Zoa Toxins and crossover with pitcher used with FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Checking in with others who know more than I.

Night before last I knocked over a rock onto my Zoa colony, then tried putting it back and it flipped over and I put it back.

Left center colony

60074-albums14227-picture68452.jpg

It was these Greenish blue ones that slimmed
60074-albums14227-picture68031.jpg

My Zoa slimmed on the end that got bopped by the little rock and then I think it released some toxins because my hand got slightly tingly. The next morning the Sunset Monti rock had a bunch of white stuff on it and today when I got home my orange rock coral was all brown.

Orange one to the upper edge only half visable
60074-albums14227-picture68476.jpg

I am planning to do my water change to get that out of the water. I usually just use the same 1G pitcher to change the water. Any recommendations on using the same pitcher even if it is for the SW only, one with the old tank water to be different from the one with the clean water? would that be necessary?

Also, whether the toxins might have ill effect on the FW, if I use the same container? I would think it would be bad?

How to clean it out? Or what does one use to neutralize the effects.

And since I am asking related questions, what is the best way to wash your hands after something like that happens?

I used an extra dose Prime in the tank afterwords and then today too.

And I will wear gloves. NOOB!

Last edited:
I would just do a regular water change and nothing special. You don't need to take extra precautions except if you are sensitive, to wear gloves and when fragging, eye protection.

Hmmm... Do you run carbon in your filters?

Carbon is good at removing toxins/meds. As mr_X said, protect your eyes and hands when fragging or holding zoa rock... They sometime spit.

Well... lost my beautiful Chalice in the pic and another Monti frag in the tank too.

The green/blue polyps in the picture were all extended and wide open and the Dragon Eyes and few bright greens and Pinks, ones the same rock were closed up too.

Spiteful Murderous Zoa.

It is a 12G tank and I don't run any carbon. I do 1-2G pwc each week.

I changed out 5G of water last night before bed and used a plastic cup (throw away) and a 5G bucket rinsed in hot water a few times. The water was yellowish like "tannins" in FW. Today looks clear. Hoping for a better day and no more losses.

That really surprises me, sorry about the losses. You may want to look into getting some putty to secure the loose rocks, a little ball with a dab of super glue gel on both ends will lock anything down quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That really surprises me, sorry about the losses. You may want to look into getting some putty to secure the loose rocks, a little ball with a dab of super glue gel on both ends will lock anything down quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds good. The issue was leaving them loose so I could tell where they would be happy so I hadn't really locked things down yet as I am still (obviously) learning.

Anyone know what the blue green Zoa on the colony is? Is it any more toxic than others? It WAS my favorite...:thanks:

I have some things I am picking up from a local hobbyist in a week or two and I just bought 2 new really nicely encrusted Montis I pick up on Tuesday, they will be going into the OTHER tank for now till the new one is up.

Back
Top Bottom