zoanthid looking bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two zoa frags. Both get about the same lighting but for some reason one of them ( on right in photo ) has started to look pretty bad. It has lost a lot of stems. What could be the reason ? I know the pics not the best...

Attachments

• DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00044.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 124
All zooas are not created equal. lol Some like more light and flow than others. What light do you have them under and how large is the tank? it might be happier being worked higher in the tank slowly....

Hi Carey.
They are both about half way up the tank using my odyssea 4 bulb t5 fixture. 20 gallon tank. When I first got it, it was very healthy looking. Should I move it down ?

I would try that with the not so good looking one. leave the one that is doing well where he is. Then watch it over the next few days and see if it starts to open and look better.
I doubt its the lights as they should keep zooas quite well, my odyssea light did. :)

if it improves then over the next few weeks slowly move it up watching each time to see how it behaves. It will take a few days for any noticeable improvement though, so dont rush it.

I am also assuming that your water parameters area all good, including nitrates?

Thanks...Just did my pwc this evening. 0ppm ammonia....0ppm nitrites...5ppm nitrates. that's test results before the water change...While you are here, I want to sneak in another question. I bought a pair of clowns last weekend. They are slowly getting use to being in a new home. They stay behind the rocks most of the time. I have tried a couple of different foods for them but the only seem to pick at it. The other night I had my filters and pumps turned off and discovered I had a nice size population of copepods. They all started swimming around and I noticed my clowns were eating them up. Could that be the reason they don't eat too much at feeding time ?

Could be, most fish do love those pods. My clowns all seem to pick at their food though, but do yours actually come out at feeding time and look for the food? As long as there is a good feeding response I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Also, all my clowns are pretty anti social, the two b&w's I have in my 60g hardly ever come out from behind a huge rock in the back, usually only when I feed. Not sure what they get up to back there but they love it there. lol My black one in the 90g also stays to the very left top of my tank and hardly ever comes out unless he is looking for food. lol My most social paiar are in my 125g, they tend to stya in the right far hand corner in the back but come out for food and maybe 30% of the rest of the time. They are goofy little critters

they do come out when I put food in the tank but don't seem to eat much. mine like the back left corner behind the rocks. they love just swimming up and down the side. once and a while they will come out and swim around the front

Back
Top Bottom