Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasno999
What you need to do is make sure the FW is at the same temperature and the same PH as the saltwater. But you do use FW. YOu put the zoo in there for about 2mins and you shake it and you can see the nudis just fall off and die.
I agree with the temp and the PH but have never heard of using straight freshwater. Also I have never heard of keeping anything in a dip longer than a minute. But hey I haven't heard of a lot of things. If you don't mind starting a new topic and sicussing FW dips? Thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What you need to do is make sure the FW is at the same temperature and the same PH as the saltwater. But you do use FW. YOu put the zoo in there for about 2mins and you shake it and you can see the nudis just fall off and die.
I agree with the temp and the PH but have never heard of using straight freshwater. Also I have never heard of keeping anything in a dip longer than a minute. But hey I haven't heard of a lot of things. If you don't mind starting a new topic and discussing FW dips? Thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

FW dips are effective in only a few cases (nudi's are one, not eggs). All it would do to a coral in "most, not all" cases is possibly kill it. Some corals can not tolerate it at all, zoos are one that can. It very seldom has benefits for fish as well. A salinity of 1.015 will also be useless because it is not low enough to kill anything.
What good is dipping a coral "6-7 times" going to do when you put it in the tank between the dip? How are you going to prevent whatever you are dipping for from coming off the rock or hatching between the dips? It is not rocket science. QT is the only way.

Quote:
Go check out some of the other boards out there if you don't beleive me. I had to actualyl use another board to get the best in formation on FW dips.
If you look around long enough you can find anything on the net from a bad source. For example you can become a millionaire by investing in a offshore Nigerian bank scam. Want a link? Bubba's fishies R' us site is not a reputable source.
On top of that steve-s posted on the subject. If you do not know him let me sum it up for you. If it has to do with fish/coral sickness or parasites and he said it. IMO it is golden! Rant over, The End. Gobble Gobble
Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Come on Brenden. Just because you don't beleive me does nto make me wrong. May others use this method. May other swear by it. Look I never said it treats everyhting. I never said it should be used to cure every issue.

However zoos are strong corals that can take a lot of abuse and deal with things such as FW dips. And in many cases the FW dips are the only way to actually get rid of things like nudis.

1) I did the FW dips without a QT tank. I agree a QT tank gives you the most benifit cause you can always have some nudis and their egs in the main aquarium attached to the rock. And since you do nto dip that rock they live and will just search out the zoos after the dip is over and they are back in the main tank. This is why you have to do multiple dips.

I only have a 10 gallon tank so I never had or used a QT tank. But so far after all of my dips my zoos are looking a lot better. I have not seen any nudis on them (they were infested and were nto even opening the polyups before). I will keep an eye as tme goes on to see if any survived. and then I will start FW dips again.

2) Even with a QT tank if you have nudis then you still have to do the FW dip. The QT tank does nothing to get rid of the nudis it jsut prevents them from gettign into the main aquarium. So yes QT is ideal but yo ustill need the dips.

I don't want to get in trouble but here is a link to another board. I am sure most of you know this board. Point is this is a therad that talks all abotu zoos and the FW dip method. Read up so you can see I am nto the only one that beleives in and uses FW dips.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=451720

and

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=533167
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have never had any good results from FW dips. I know of several people that have not had good results. I read the post but still not convinced. If you had good results then you just did but IME it only brought death and stress to the fish or coral.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey we are all allowed to have out opinions. For some it may help and others it may not. But if you have a nudi problem I highly suggest this cause it worked for me and I had no harm to my coral.

It is better than lettign the nudis kill the entirel zoo colony.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Hey we are all allowed to have out opinions. For some it may help and others it may not. But if you have a nudi problem I highly suggest this cause it worked for me and I had no harm to my coral.

It is better than lettign the nudis kill the entirel zoo colony.
Jason, who's arguing with you about nudibranchs?

Both in my post and in Brenden's, acknowledge that FW dips to have a time and a place. No one has said that it should not be used in those circumstances.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

opps
Old 05-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow 17 posts and only 1 reply to what i asked
Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry. My favorites are the my dragon eyes and pinks. I feed a mixture of oyster eggs and photo about every two weeks (only when fragging). This is not necessary but when fragging I found it helps them grow faster. Sorry I do not have a good pic and the lights are off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink_frag2_741.jpg (154.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg dragon_frag_557.jpg (62.6 KB, 15 views)

Tags
zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com