Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zoanthids

I will be shopping this weekend for my wifes mothers day present and it will be Zoanthids for her new 30g (6mo old) just wondering what your favorites are. also do you feed your and if so what do you feed them.

thanks

Old 05-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Zoanthids are great, and easy to keep. Ans they come in such a great color assortment. You really dont need to feed them at all, as long as you have good lighting they will be fine. I have tons of them in my tank and I love them.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
My suggestion.

QT tank. Make sure that the Zoos you purchase are kept in a QT tank. If you don't have a QT tank then at lease do a fresh watert dip of the zoo before you put it in the main tank. Do the dip and use some iodine if you want- also check for any nudibranch eggs.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the orange with green, and pinks.
Quote:
If you don't have a QT tank then at lease do a fresh watert dip
Do not do this....A QT is a great idea. FW dip is not.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Definitely not a fresh water dip fan here either

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Why do u need to QT zoos?
Old 05-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Technically, anything you place in your tank can carry disease, parasites, etc. I also wouldnt recommend the FW dip. Too stressful.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

A fresh water dip is not really using fresh water it is more of a hyposalinity dip. There is salt in the water but usually around .015 or a little less if I remember correctly. Fresh water dips are better for sick fish than corals though. I would do the iodine dip as Zoos tend to carry zoo eating nudis. The iodine dip makes almost all unfriendly and friendly critters come off the rock trying to get out. Bristle worms, nudis, bristle star fish, pods, etc come off the rock.

I have several different colors in my tank but the thing that you want to keep in mind is to use gloves when handling zoos. They are poisonous! It's called polytoxin (not sure on spelling) and it can really make you sick. The poison can also be realed in the water if it too close to another coral to kill it and make room so it can grow.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
steve-s

Dipping corals for the most part only deals with a small percentage of what may be carried in. More commonly flatworms and nudibrancs but it will do nothing against the eggs that are often laid on or at the base of the coral. Fish parasites are also impervious to such dips if encysted. Qting is the only way to ensure you do not trasition parasites into the main display.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Honestly the FW dip is not a bad thing and is actualyl a good thing. Most people that are schooled in dealing with zoos will always use a QT tank and will typically dip their zoos in a FW with iodine solution. THe Iodine is not a requirment but helps.

Go check out some of the other boards out there if you don't beleive me. I had to actualyl use another board to get the best in formation on FW dips.

I had a nudi problem. They were eatign my zoos and they came in with my zoos. I don't have a qt tank and did not know abotu the FW dips. So I had to use the FW dip method to help rid my zoos of the nudis.

What you need to do is make sure the FW is at the same temperature and the same PH as the saltwater. But you do use FW. YOu put the zoo in there for about 2mins and you shake it and you can see the nudis just fall off and die. True that eggs don't fall off but you have to search for them or keep doing the dips. Zoos are quite hardy and I did abotu 6-7 dips and the zoos did fine.

Do what you will. I am jsut offering my opinion and what may others think is a good idea to rid a new coral of possiable hitchhickers. It does not work for everyhting but it will help with a bunch of stuff you would rather keep out of your tank.

Tags
zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com