Zoanthids taking over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddy-o

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90g with a couple tangs and clowns and several soft corals. Problem is my zoanthids are doing too good and taking over a couple of my rocks
How to stop? Is there a coral I could put next to it that will keep it from spreading?
How can I get it off the rock next to my other coral?

Attachments

• image-3420495167.jpg
    image-3420495167.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 149
How do I frag these things? Cut the rock? They seem pretty attached to it.

If you take your time you can loosen the mat from the rock i use a razor blade to lift it then cut between the heads. Then a bit of CA to glue the frags to pieces of rubble. leave the frags in your tank for a week or two to heal
Be sure to WASH your hands after fraging i were rubber gloves and a dust mask some of those are very toxic.

Get underneath a leading edge, and you can peel them up off the rock, then run a razorblade down the mat in between the polyps. Once you have a section of them, use a little bit of some gel super glue to attach them to a new rock and put them back in your tank to heal for a couple weeks.
One caution, however..... wear rubber gloves and safety glasses, and do NOT rub your mouth, eyes, nose, or open cuts until the gloves are off & your hands have been washed.
Some palys/zoas contain a poisonous compound called palytoxin, and it's some pretty nasty stuff.... problem is, we as reefers don't know which ones contain it, so it's best to treat all of them as if they have it.....
Palytoxin, the World's Second Deadliest Poison, Possibly Available at Your LFS — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Back
Top Bottom