Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Zoanthids toxin

I just read an article on msn this morning about Zoas putting off a palytoxin that can be dangerous and has hospitalized multiple people. I knew they had some poisonous property but didn't know it was that bad. I will not endanger my family with my hobby. Anyone know more about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Palytoxins can be serious business...but the severity of the toxin varies to each type of zoa or paly. I've forgotten about this now and again and rubbed my eye after moving a zoa frag and it been red and sore like you were to have pink eye. Obviously it gets much more serious than that, just like you read. This is why we say not to boil rock to solve issues as if there were palys on there it would then put this toxin into the air and can be quite deadly.
That aside, having zoas and palys in the home aquarium isn't dangerous in the slightest. Besides the boiling rock bit, you have to be in contact with these polyps to get the stuff on you. If you wash your hands afterwards it is a null issue.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Palytoxins can be serious business...but the severity of the toxin varies to each type of zoa or paly. I've forgotten about this now and again and rubbed my eye after moving a zoa frag and it been red and sore like you were to have pink eye. Obviously it gets much more serious than that, just like you read. This is why we say not to boil rock to solve issues as if there were palys on there it would then put this toxin into the air and can be quite deadly.
That aside, having zoas and palys in the home aquarium isn't dangerous in the slightest. Besides the boiling rock bit, you have to be in contact with these polyps to get the stuff on you. If you wash your hands afterwards it is a null issue.
+1 I agree 100%
Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wear gloves when your handling them and eye protection if your fragging them and don't forget to clean up after.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just yesterday I was messing around in my tank and tried to remove a Zoa from a power head(same Zoa I thought was dead awhile ago...) but I ended up tearing it some. I continued to work in the tank and at some point rubbed my face with part of my arm..then that side of my face turned red and started to swell. All I had to do was carefully wash the area and not get anything in my eyes and it cleared up very quickly.

Zoas are beautiful and easy to care for as long as you handle them properly you'll be fine. And you should always wash your hands/arms after being in the tank anyway.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Honestly, just think about it for a second. Zoanthids / Palythoas are the single most common types of coral around. How many aquarists have you heard die from them?

Some have gotten sick, yes. But just teach your family not to eat things out of your tank and it will be fine
Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zoanthids toxin

I read on another site that there is going to be a bit on Good Morning America tomorrow (8/18/15 Wed) about this. Apparently they got the guy that did the infamous article for Advanced Aquarist (boiled rock, almost killed his family), a doctor and (unfortunately) the Tanked guys. The "hype" is apparently from an article the CDC put out last Friday 8/14/15...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I read on another site that there is going to be a bit on Good Morning America tomorrow (8/18/15 Wed) about this. Apparently they got the guy that did the infamous article for Advanced Aquarist (boiled rock, almost killed his family), a doctor and (unfortunately) the Tanked guys. The "hype" is apparently from an article the CDC put out last Friday 8/14/15...

Suspected Palytoxin Inhalation Exposures Associated with Zoanthid Corals in Aquarium Shops and Homes — Alaska, 2012–2014

I have palys that look exactly like that
Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

Count on the idiots in main stream media to fear monger over simple hobbies that pose little risk to individuals while simultaneously ignoring the volatile aspects of this world which threaten our lives daily. All via government ran media. Didn't know we were in Pyongyang. (Sorry rant over)....
Old 08-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good for everyone to know and remember, they are possibly dangerous. I didn't think about gloves to just pick up and rearrange placement on a few frags, but I knocked a rock off which hit the colony and my hand started to go numb after having one that similarly looked like those but there were three other types also on the rock. On the bright side prices will likely go down for a couple/or few weeks.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toxin, zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com