zoa's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsmith79

Aquarium Advice Freak
when one of the polyps on your zoa's die do you cut the one off? i was wondering because i have eagle i polyps, and they are doing great and spreading except for one little spot. one died, and slowly it has
spread to 2 other ones.

Last edited:
They Had a lot more room between them when I started the anemone split and has been growing like crazy ever since. The anemone was about the size of the top of a soda can when I got it, now it's about the size of a soccer ball!

ya mines done the same thing, I had no idea how big they can get. I've managed to change my flow so it's moved to the far corner of my tank so I can put coral everywhere else. Mine stung a favia LPS and bleached out a portion in the middle, I moved it away and it grew back. I'm not saying thats gonna happen to yours but maybe they are just bleached and not dead. Do they open and close every day like your other zoa's?

My clowns love the anemone I don't want to take it away from them, the zoas on the side right next to it look fine. If I notice it is damaging them I will move the rock with the zoas. Last time I moved them they left some stragglers which are spreading.

Removing it would definitely be the safest thing to do in the long run, but I agree with you, I wouldn't want to take it away from them either. Just move the zoos if necessary, thats all you need to do. Coyote just hates Nems! :)

Pretty much right about that. I found that mixing them with corals didn't work out for me long term...seemed the coral was either happy or the anemones. I kind of look at them as pests. My clowns like my waving hand corals every bit as much as an anemone and it doesn't have the down sides anemones have. Everybody to their own tastes!

Lol, I agree with you, just read previous threads, I told the OP he'd be best to remove it, but I hate getting rid of anything too, especially a host, and can understand the dilemma. Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't have chosen a Nem either. My Sebae has gotten so big, on last years upgrade to a 180 from a 135 tall, he was relegated to a front corner, because of lack of space. Honestly, I think the Sebae and my Misbar Maroon will soon be brought to a trusted LFS, after over 5 years. Toward trade on a really cool Acro or Acan hopefully!!
Coyote...beautiful set-up!

View attachment 83697

For Sale: Lg. Sebae..Lol

Thanks! It's 20 years old almost...but still kickin.
That clown fish will move if you ask him to. I think you could trade the anemone for a big clump of octocoral like anthellia and he would move in. The anthellia can grow even faster than the anemone. But if you plant sacrificial rocks around it you can easily give it away.

If you watched my video....one of my discoveries was to make a simulation of a 90 second ocean surge. As a diver I noted that corals like the motion. It isn't random at all. It is rhythmic. It set the soft corals off like mad as well as everything else.

Last edited:
Yes I did see the video, really nice! Yeah I agree with you, I think random patterns help move nutrients more than stimulate coral, gets them into he water column for appropriate removal. For coral, rythmic is much more natural. I always try to alter my wave period, shorter to longer and back, to try to have some semblance of tidal play.
I have also dove, 4 dives in Hawaii, 2 in Jamaica, and always in the water here (Florida).
I have only 5 fish, mostly Hawiian endemic, and am considering a Potters angel. I have a Yellow, Kole, Copperband, firefish, maroon clown, reef lobster, and Lg. Coral banded shrimp. Well maybe not mostly, but working on it! Copperband eats frozen shrimp and mysis, about 4 in"( tangs too). What do you think about a Potters Angel?

Flreefer said:
Yes I did see the video, really nice! Yeah I agree with you, I think random patterns help move nutrients more than stimulate coral, gets them into he water column for appropriate removal. For coral, rythmic is much more natural. I always try to alter my wave period, shorter to longer and back, to try to have some semblance of tidal play.
I have also dove, 4 dives in Hawaii, 2 in Jamaica, and always in the water here (Florida).
I have only 5 fish, mostly Hawiian endemic, and am considering a Potters angel. I have a Yellow, Kole, Copperband, firefish, maroon clown, reef lobster, and Lg. Coral banded shrimp. Well maybe not mostly, but working on it! Copperband eats frozen shrimp and mysis, about 4 in"( tangs too). What do you think about a Potters Angel?

Since you're not keeping coral...why not? They get up to 4" and are gorgeous. But they are classified as a difficult fish, even though they are semi reef safe. I had one years ago, but he didn't live but 4 years...that's too short.

No, I have a 180 full of coral, that's why I've only been considering a Potters. As far as I know it's hit or miss whether they will eat coral or not, like a flame.

I would really like a Potters, but don't want to sacrifice any coral, tough call. Thanks for the input!

are you referring to the 3 zoas that are a whiteish color? in the middle of the 3rd picture because if so that is not a die off it is a pally head. I have a colony of zoas JUST like that with eagle eye and green zoas mixed and I have 2 heads of that same species of pally as well in the colony. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same seller.

Back
Top Bottom