Zoas are closed and one or two are floppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, on Sunday I bought these and they were fully opened. For the last three days they have closed and one or two seem floppy. Is it just a waiting game or can I do anything. Water prams are good. Do they need more light? Or should I just wait? Thanks

I've never kept a zoa but it does look like you have some kind of hair algae growing on them so they are dying. I'm not completely sure though.

They've only been in for 5 days. I was thinking that they need time to open up maybe? There is hair algae on the rock behind them

What are your actual parameters? What kind of lighting? What kind of flow?

I'm just getting back into reefs and have purchased three zoa frags recently. I put them about mid- tank, low- moderate flow and they seem okay. They opened up almost immediately after I got them.

Of got leads nitrates are 10ppm, all others are zero. Flow is good

What is your phosphate at? Do a 50% wc and get alot of that algea out of there by hand. Also lower your photoperiod to 6-8hrs. Then do 25% wc until your nitrate get to 0.

By the looks of the algae your phosphates and nitrates are probably higher than they are testing. Are you running any media? I agree with the 50% wc and pulling as much of the algae as you can

I did a big change on Monday. Also cleaned skimmer and skimmer socks. Have done another change tonight. Do you think I should scrub the rocks? The tank is only 4 months old so could this be the ugly stage?

I did a big change on Monday. Also cleaned skimmer and skimmer socks. Have done another change tonight. Do you think I should scrub the rocks? The tank is only 4 months old so could this be the ugly stage?

Could you tell us what your phosphates at? Asked this question 2 times already...

I wouldn't worry too much I got a rock covered in zoos and they stayed closed up for ages but recently almost all of them opened up. Oddly enough I had a fair bit of hair algae growing around them so pulled it off. I would imagine it will be your parameters in some way but they should be ok eventually. Mine were closed for months, I didn't think they would open up at all!

I don't have a phos test kit as yet. The reason I bought these is because they are bullet proof. I wouldent buy a coral which needed excellent prams. Nitrates are 15/20 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 ph is 8.0.

I don't have a phos test kit as yet. The reason I bought these is because they are bullet proof. I wouldent buy a coral which needed excellent prams. Nitrates are 15/20 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 ph is 8.0.

Not bullet proof, barely. They are still sensitive to nitrate and phosphate as are all corals.

Nice one bayern, thanks. They still look plump and when the blues go on they illuminate blue, so I know that there still alive.:)

Back
Top Bottom