Zoas Aren't Opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some new zoas two days ago and some on one frag plug have opened but none of the zoas on th eother plug have opened except one that is in a little bit of shadow. So, my dumb question considering zoas need light, can they get too much? The frags were grown under 14K MH and are high up in my tank under actinics, so I'm clueless as to why they aren't opening unless they are still settling in. (BTW I've got a little copper in the water cause I was dosing for ich, so I've considered that.)

Copper and invertabrates don't get along Well. You may have killed all of your bacteria also. What are your readings now?

I don't have many test kits but
Ammonia = 0
Carbonate Hardness = 150

Just did another PWC 10%
Did a 20% two days ago. Gonna do another tomorrow.

What did you treat with copper in your DT? I hate to wake you up but not having a test kit is like sticking you hand out the window to see what temp. it is. It's very hard to get copper out of a tank once it been introduced.

Ich. But then a really hot day came while I was away and nuked the ich anyway. And yeah I know about the test kit situation. They are pretty expensive here. :(
I need to do enough PWC to get enough out to introduce a nudibranch that I bought. The LFS is hanging on to it cause I forgot I had the treatment going on.

Here's a pic of the zoas so you can check em out.
img_1065756_0_20a3d9172278eb29cd758fd26627b41e.jpg

Also the water temp was at 29C (84F) but I've dropped it to 26C (78F) but it hasn't made much of a difference.

Last edited:
What was the name of the treatment you used for the ich? Is that a mushroom I see at the bottom left? That top zoa looks to be openning okay.

Last edited:
Did you take a sample of the water to the LFT to get tested? If so have them give the readings of each test. Have them test for copper also. The problem with copper is that it gets into your rock and sand and iis very hard to remove.

Not sure about the name but I've used it before and it never affected my corals. Yes it is a mushy/morph. Yes I took a sample and tested it myself (I'm doing work experience there). All the paras are good. I don't think they have a copper test. I'll check tomorrow when I go in. Yeah the top one is opening well. Could it just be the coral still getting used to the tank? Also how long do you think until I can bring my nudibranch home? I've already done 30% worth PWC.

nudibranchs are delicate and somewhat hard to keep. Most tend to get sucked up into a PH or if you have a sump they tend to get swept away into the sump never to be seen again. What type of nubi are you planning to get. They also have a fairly short lifespan. Some will eat your corals also.
If the medicatios did not kill your corals it may not contain any copper. Was it the organic Type that are deemed rift safe?

The nudi will likely starve in your tank. Takes a lot of care and special feeding needs so I understand. Besides with that copper having been used, I'd even be more concerned about a nudibranch. What about your snails and hermits? They doing OK?

Ray, that was my first concern. That he had wiped out his inverts with that copper. I have a feeling that he does not have copper and that it was an organic treatment. Well, I'm hoping anyway.

Just another comment... although it doesn't answer your original question!...

You mentioned the heat wave and high temps wiping out the ich. It didn't. Elevated temps won't kill saltwater ich. It may work with freshwater, but that's different. The ich is still there - especially if you just treated with a "reef safe" medication.

When i 1st started i gat infected with ick also and i used copper it killed all the ick but it also killed a lot of my bacteria, snails, starfish so i went to the pet store bout the stuff you can put in the water to start out the tank its like bacteria ina bottle stuff and i also added carbon to my setup and POLYFilter stuffs great to get copper out of the water i dnt remeber the brands the polyfilter changed color when it took stuff out of the water for example when the pad would filter out copper the pad turned bluish green good stuff it worked for me

tntfish, Did you use a copper test kit to see how much copper is left?

yes i did use a copper kit still have alot of test as a matter of fact they didnt have any at my LFS so i asked them if they would order me one do not try any invertabrate nor coral until you have 0 copper will kill them so fast

Back
Top Bottom