Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Zoas - do they eat or not?

So was at my LFS tonight (the one I go to because their prices and stock are great, but advice spotty) and they had a tank full of zoanthid colonys for 35 bucks - at that price, couldn't resist (probably 40 polyps I would guess). As I was checking out, the guy mentioned that I should be feeding them zooplankton. Now everything I've read is telling me these guys will be just fine with light, since they're photosynthetic...

So which is right?

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Both actually. They shouldn't NEED added food, but they will take some. Consider it a very occasional treat if anything.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Both actually. They shouldn't NEED added food, but they will take some. Consider it a very occasional treat if anything.
So you'd say the 3 - 4 time a week recommendation is a bit overkill?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a tad. lol

They're fine without IME.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool - he actually told me that I should be target feeding them - I kinda figured he might have bene going overboard.

To their credit however, and the reason that I'll still shop there sometimes - its probably closer to 150 polyps than to 50 (I'm a terrible guesstimator - will post a pic later when they're in and open).

I'm fortunate I guess - I have 2 LFS within 5 miles of me. One of them gives FANTASTIC advice and is happy to talk shop...but his stock (especially lately) is very limited, and his prices on corals are quite high (this chunk would have been 60 bucks at his place, easily)...the other shop has great prices and huge stock lists, but I really don't trust a single thing they tell me or anyone else.

This, obviously, wasn't a huge lie or anything - but I've seen them push inappropriate fish for situations (i.e. a copper banded to a newbie to the hobby with a 14 gallon tank). Needless to say, I don't shop there often unless the first place is REALLY hurting for stock, which they have been the last couple months.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love feeding my zoas mysis shrimp. You should try it, it will help them grow but it really isn't necessary.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
I love feeding my zoas mysis shrimp. You should try it, it will help them grow but it really isn't necessary.
I can't imagine trying to do that for an entire colony. I once for giggles tried to feed my palythoas which are substantially larger than these guys - it was virtually impossible (though I think I did succeed in pissing them off).
Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, as long as you know what to expect and look out for at each it's a nice "problem" having two close by.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb

I can't imagine trying to do that for an entire colony. I once for giggles tried to feed my palythoas which are substantially larger than these guys - it was virtually impossible (though I think I did succeed in pissing them off).
I used a pipette from my refractometer and it worked okay. I sure didn't try to feed them all though, that would make me even more insane.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Hey, as long as you know what to expect and look out for at each it's a nice "problem" having two close by.
You bet. This weekend I'm investigating a couple others that are a bit further away (instead of 10 minutes, closer to 40). If nothing else my 9 year old loves walking around new shops, seeing what he remembers, asking for names of fish etc. Actually caught him giving someone fish advice at one of the shops last weekend - I was impressed. Guess he listens even when I dont think he is (in this case, he was telling someone that a coral beauty might nip at corals...I was so proud)

Tags
eat, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com