Zoas? easy to keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking into getting some Zoas....any advice? Currently I have pulsing Xenia and it seems to be doing great....now I want to try more! Also what about favia? Thanks

There seems to be a wide variety in the difficulty level of zoas. I've had some that are bulletproof and will open up 30 seconds after a crab crawls across them. On the other hand i've had zoas that the same crab will walk across seconds later and they will pout and not open up for 2 days. So there is no real good answer to that but most of them are fairly easy to take care of. Most prefer moderate light and flow but again each colony will be a little different so if they are not happy try moving them around a bit.

Never had favia personally but i do know that the sweepers on them can be quite long so make sure you give a little space between them and the other coral. Knew a guy who accidentally knocked an acro onto a favia without noticing and the favia had stripped the flesh off the acro in a matter of hours. I believe most favia prefer higher light as well. Others may correct me on that though.

Zoanthids are my favorite coral. IME, they are the hardiest coral I've ever had. But as pat8you said, there are varying levels of difficulty depending on the type of zoo you're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom