Zoas problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't remember the last time I saw my zoas open. I tried the fresh water dip and pulled off about 6 eggs and 2 worms. I did the fresh water dip two days in a row and now the zoas have been in my tank for about 3 days. Still no success. Should I dip them again or just wait it out?

Water nitrates and everything else is where it should be.

image-2695751767.jpg

While freshwater dips can be useful for flushing out pests, they can also be pretty stressful for a coral. I'd wait. Dipping again in such a short period of time could stress them pretty bad. Where are they in the tank? How's the lighting and flow where they are?

I have an 8 bulb nova extreme light. I have them placed low in the tank with medium flow.

I'd suggest letting them adjust again for a week. If they haven't started opening by then, maybe move them slightly higher? Beyond that, I don't know.
When you say the parameters are "where it should be" can you be a bit more specific?

Gotta agree slow flow and more light did it for mine, but I think it was more the flow.

Rich42082 said:
I can't remember the last time I saw my zoas open. I tried the fresh water dip and pulled off about 6 eggs and 2 worms. I did the fresh water dip two days in a row and now the zoas have been in my tank for about 3 days. Still no success. Should I dip them again or just wait it out?

Water nitrates and everything else is where it should be.

I had same problem to find out I had a short in my power head. Took it out and got myself a grounding probe things are doing great. Good luck

Zoas are slowly opening up. Not all of them have opened but more than I have seen in awhile.

image-464007878.jpg

Im battling "zoa pox" with a large colony that i have now, your pic isnt super good but looks like that may be a factor with yours also. I would google pictures or look at the attached link and see if it matches whats going on (it will cause them to close up, bleach and even melt) heres a link i found and method im going to try! Good Luck!!
CoralPedia.com :: Articles :: ZoaPox (Zoa Pox); the search for the cause and cure

My PH is between 7.8 and 8.0.
My ammonia is at 0
My nitrite is at 0
And my nitrate is at 0

image-116135955.jpg

i have a colony of eagle eye zoas that opened for a couple of days when I first got them, then closed up tight for two weeks. Mine finally opened when I put them almost right nest to my powerhead and as high in the tank as I could get them. That's absolutely counter to everything I've ever read or heard about zoas, but that worked for me. As I recall, I bought the colony from a shallow frag tank with metal halides over it. I can't remember about the flow, but I'd bet a dollar it was a igh flow spot of the tank they were in, too. I guess it's what this particular colony liked.

Greg took the words out of my mouth. Ph is low, and your zoas might like more or less flow or light than the books say they should. Are they opening up any more?

Yes PH is low but I tested it this morning so that might have been the reason why it was so low. It is usually between 8 and 8.2.

image-1562046626.jpg

Yes more have opened. Almost all of them are open but I realized from this last picture that I lost a lot of them. Some just broke off and are staggered in my tank somewhere.

image-3642425039.jpg

Back
Top Bottom