Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #31

POTM Champion

so if the coral is benefiting from the production of food from the zooxanthilli algae under the red light, why would it close? wouldnt it want to open more so that more algae could produce more food?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The corals themselves only "see" Blue/green light, they cannot see red. That's why they close when running just the red bulbs. In nature, the light coming into the water is full spectrum. That full spectrum allows the blue/green to trigger the corals opening and the red/green to feed the symbiotic algae.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360º
so if the coral is benefiting from the production of food from the zooxanthilli algae under the red light, why would it close? wouldnt it want to open more so that more algae could produce more food?
Zooxanthellae is an algae / plant and under what spectrum does algae grow best under? Full spectrum with lots of red and green. That's why many people don't like to use 6500k or lower bulbs anymore. For a while I tried ati's 15000k bulbs, but found I had better results with Sps under a mix of 6500k and10,000k t5 bulbs. Now I mix ati blue plus's, 10,000k and 6500k. Red is needed, but when in nature does aquatic life only see red (like your experiment)?
Zooxanthellae is a major component with the corals survival and color.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Zooxanthellae is an algae / plant and under what spectrum does algae grow best under? Full spectrum with lots of red and green. That's why many people don't like to use 6500k or lower bulbs anymore. For a while I tried ati's 15000k bulbs, but found I had better results with Sps under a mix of 6500k and10,000k t5 bulbs. Now I mix ati blue plus's, 10,000k and 6500k. Red is needed, but when in nature does aquatic life only see red (like your experiment)?
Zooxanthellae is a major component with the corals survival and color.

honestly i would try a fiji purple over a 6500k. the target of red and green as well as the addition of some blue makes the lamp a great stimulate for growth and does not give you that yellow look that a 10000k and a 6500k would give you.

my current setup is 4 KZ lamps 2 superblue, similar to the blue plus, 1 fiji purple and a corallite II 14000k. alot of targeted spectrums and a nice look

even stil la 12000k aquablue special will put out a great spectrum for coral growth.

plant life grows best uber low kelvin bulbs. a 3500k will probably stimulate the growth better as there is more green and red to give that warmer yellowish look where as 6500k daylight has much more blue. again in nature reds are filltered out so a full 6500k spectrum will not reach the coral even a higher up SPS which is why higher kelvin lamps are used (eg 14000k), but with todays LEDs and T5 full spectrum technologies it is just so easy to mix and match bulbs to target different wavelengths for growth and looks
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
The corals themselves only "see" Blue/green light, they cannot see red. That's why they close when running just the red bulbs. In nature, the light coming into the water is full spectrum. That full spectrum allows the blue/green to trigger the corals opening and the red/green to feed the symbiotic algae.

<3 true story
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo

honestly i would try a fiji purple over a 6500k. the target of red and green as well as the addition of some blue makes the lamp a great stimulate for growth and does not give you that yellow look that a 10000k and a 6500k would give you.

my current setup is 4 KZ lamps 2 superblue, similar to the blue plus, 1 fiji purple and a corallite II 14000k. alot of targeted spectrums and a nice look

even stil la 12000k aquablue special will put out a great spectrum for coral growth.

plant life grows best uber low kelvin bulbs. a 3500k will probably stimulate the growth better as there is more green and red to give that warmer yellowish look where as 6500k daylight has much more blue. again in nature reds are filltered out so a full 6500k spectrum will not reach the coral even a higher up SPS which is why higher kelvin lamps are used (eg 14000k), but with todays LEDs and T5 full spectrum technologies it is just so easy to mix and match bulbs to target different wavelengths for growth and looks
I tried an ati purple plus, but my Sps seemed to like the 6500k / 10,000k whites better. I noticed in an earlier post of your's that the Fiji purple seems to have a different (better) spectrum than ati purple did. I think I'm going to get a Fiji and give it a shot. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to cover as much of the full spectrum as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Leo, what do you think of the wave-point coral wave Optimum color enhancer bulb? It seems somewhat close to the KZ Fiji Purple. I have a new one that was given to me a while back that I've never installed or tried.

http://www.wave-point.com/images/LampMain2_enlarge.jpg
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

no problem, i've yet to find a side by side comparison but from pics i've seen of the lamp the Purple plus looks a bit duller then my KZ

i've never tried the wavepoints, but from my reading on them the PAR numbers are not that great compared to the three top brands, KZ,ATI and guiesmann

Tags
light, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com