Zoas vs feather dusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jross1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am a 30 gal reef 2 t5 24 watt 1 pl bulb 18 watt 2 power heads . I brought a orange zoas and the rock it was on was infested with feathers and small white star fish and there was a little slug with a small shell I just wondered will they spread and will they harm anything the feathers were small like really small will they get bigger thanks anyone

Feathers won't they are just filter feeders the stars may depending on he species and I don't know much about sea slugs but you should be ok with him

Sea slugs in general are good detritus eaters but if they dont have enough food and die are extremely toxic

I think he might b more of a snail he has a shallow shell on his back. The piece of live rock that the coral come was brimming with life will the feather spread around the tank can they move ?

Lemme try to tackle this. The mini feather dusters are harmless filter feeders. They CAN move by leaving their tubes and making a new one, but this is unlikely. Depending on how many and how close to the zoas, they might irritate them enough that the zoas won't open all the time. The tiny white starfish are most certainly asterina stars. Generally harmless though there are unsubstantiated reports of the darker varieties munching on soft corals. Just keep an eye on them. The slug with a shell is most likely stomatella varia. Harmless and very beneficial algae eater. Non toxic.

Well thanks for that it was very helpful one more question will my zoas spread on there own or is there something I can do I wouldn't mind some more for free I have one green zoas all on its Owen it must have come in on something but its really cool looking

image-4094097780.jpg

image-1356168690.jpg

Assuming food, light, and good flow, they should. I had a cyano outbreak smother a frag though so make sure they stay free of that and they'll spread. Assuming you have nothing that eats them, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom